Notices

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
Bluto
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Carrying at the gym

What do you guys do? Stow it in the car, a locker? Carry while working out? If so, how?

I recently joined a gym and have been pocket carrying my lightest gun- a Ruger LCP, but it's still cumbersome in light gym shorts. Keeps shifting and banging around. Belt or waistband carry is not an option (due to my significant muffin top/belly) plus I don't want to sweat all over it.

I recently purchased a small Maxpedition type edc pouch that can hold the gun, wallet, and phone. I'm thinking of just carrying that around the gym like a murse.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Ka Lbo

When I was at a gym working out, my carry weapon was either in a locked locker or left in locked truck.

IMHO, I can't imagine I'd ever place a weapon in a pouch and set the weapon down in any public setting. Carrying in a gym workout atmosphere doesn't seem reasonable.

Brad
Ka Lbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
ltkdds
ltkdds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What do you guys do? Stow it in the car, a locker? Carry while working out? If so, how?

I recently joined a gym and have been pocket carrying my lightest gun- a Ruger LCP, but it's still cumbersome in light gym shorts. Keeps shifting and banging around. Belt or waistband carry is not an option (due to my significant muffin top/belly) plus I don't want to sweat all over it.

I recently purchased a small Maxpedition type edc pouch that can hold the gun, wallet, and phone. I'm thinking of just carrying that around the gym like a murse.
...try Smartcarry.com
ltkdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
titanNV
NRA Endowment Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltkdds View Post
...try Smartcarry.com
Do you have one? How is the retention?

Also, if carrying at the gym it might depend on what you are doing. If running, a belly band holster might be a good idea. They are cheap to try anyway, $10-$15. I have a couple and like them just fine.
titanNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
ltkdds
ltkdds

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanNV View Post
Do you have one? How is the retention?

Also, if carrying at the gym it might depend on what you are doing. If running, a belly band holster might be a good idea. They are cheap to try anyway, $10-$15. I have a couple and like them just fine.
...I workout 2 1/4 hrs./no problem
ltkdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
JTW_Jr
WheelGunner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I will never leave a firearm in a car unattended. Not a secure option for me. Way too many cars broken into.
JTW_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I like the murse idea. If you can find a water bottle carrier type thing with a big enough attachment for wallet, keys, etc that also fits the gun then you’d be set.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Bluto
uber n00b

"I can't imagine I'd ever place a weapon in a pouch and set the weapon down in any public setting."

Legitimate concern. I'd never have it out of reach or sight really, but there's always the opportunity for someone to snatch it I guess. Plus I already carry my water bottle, headphones, and a towel. So, an extra small bag is just one more thing to keep track of.

"try Smartcarry.com" "a belly band holster might be a good idea"

I've checked out a variety of holsters, they all have issues. Mainly it's my weird body type. Maybe after I lose what I need to in my mid-section. I have a belly band and it just wouldn't be comfortable in the gym. The best option for me is pocket carry and in light gym shorts it's not a good one either.

"I will never leave a firearm in a car unattended."

I have a lock box tethered with a cable in my trunk, so I'm not too worried about a smash and grab. They'd have to spend some time to get the box free.

I left my gun in the car last visit and may continue to do that. I hate being unarmed any time I'm out, but realistically gyms are low risk areas. Just have to deal with it.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
bigx5murf

https://www.511tactical.com/select-c...tol-pouch.html

It will just barely fit a double stack 9mm sub compact. Single stack fits much better.
bigx5murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
jim
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I use a man purse as my wife loves to call it. I never set it anywhere someone will beat me to it.