Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
donthreetens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What would you do?

Going to try and get this across right,
Other day early morning, Boiulder City Nevada. a guy runs by my drive way yelling " He is trying to kill me".

I am sitting outside and run to the front of my drive way. The guy yelling is covered in blood. Yep, this is for real....

I holler at him " Who is trying to kill you"

He responds --- " The guy coming after me"

I see another guy running up the street COVERED in blood and he does have a knife in his hand----

Now, I have my .45 with me as I always do....

Question here---- Do you pull the firearm?
If you do, who do you point at?

The rest of the story later today. Looking for answers on the questions------

donthreetens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Roach
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'm lazy I call 911. Seems like the guy being chased has a good lead anyway. I may be wrong but it's not my fight. I don't know the details and the guy chasing could be the victim....you never know.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
donthreetens

I really do look for all your comments on here. They are funny and well kind of real. I would have sat and done nothing BUT it was disturbing my 8 A.M. scotch time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I'm lazy I call 911. Seems like the guy being chased has a good lead anyway. I may be wrong but it's not my fight. I don't know the details and the guy chasing could be the victim....you never know.
donthreetens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

Not my Circus Not my Monkeys.Call 911,go inside and grab the binocs and watch the action.A report of a naked man covered in blood,carrying a knife should get a prompt response from the cops.If you were to intervene and the cops had been called by somebody else,when the cops roll up and see you holding a gun,who are they going to focus on first?Not worth the risk.
Maxcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
doz
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxcarp View Post
Not my Circus Not my Monkeys.Call 911,go inside and grab the binocs and watch the action.A report of a naked man covered in blood,carrying a knife should get a prompt response from the cops.If you were to intervene and the cops had been called by somebody else,when the cops roll up and see you holding a gun,who are they going to focus on first?Not worth the risk.
If I had anything to drink, even just 1 beer, I get my ass inside and pretend it didnt happen. No way do you intervene let alone pull a gun with alcohol in your system when its not your fight. Opening yourself up for criminal/civil cases.

If 8am really was scotch time and you had some to drink, I would hope for your own sake that you ran inside.
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
VegasGroove
uber n00b

911 and Camera Phone, in that order.
VegasGroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Man you guys can be dicks. I hope it's never my wife running from a rapist who stabbed her and she managed to get away.

My answer is it depends. Assess the situation, see if the story adds up in the split second you have. If it appears the guy was attacked and running for his life I'd let him on my property, call the cops, and if the man with a knife approaches I'd warn him to go away and if he continues to advance I'd shoot him.

On the other hand if I don't buy the story I go inside and call the cops.

But to outright say I wouldn't intervene in any situation that involves someone else getting attacked is pretty messed up IMHO.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
billsliv
Very Active Member

The right thing to do is to try to stop any further violence.
The right thing to do may land you in jail.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsliv View Post
The right thing to do is to try to stop any further violence.
The right thing to do may land you in jail.
This times 10.

Best I could offer would be to help keep the two parties separate until police come, but it would depend on what additional details present themselves and what vibe I get from the scene. I would really want to avoid the situation to minimize the chance this violent situation impacts my family sitting inside the house (since we're now close to my driveway). There is no blanket policy I would have in the situation as described. This is why:

-Sure, it would appear like an attempted murder at face value and you'd want to shoot the guy with the knife.

-But, on the other hand, maybe the guy with the knife now was the original victim of a robbery at knife point that went wrong, and knife man has multiple stab wounds (he is covered in blood, after all), but he was able to wrestle the knife away from the now-victim who is pleading for their life.

-Or, maybe knife-man caught victim-man raping his daughter. I don't rightly know I could sleep at night knowing I shot a dad who was trying to rid the world of his daughter's rapist...

Hypotheticals like this should be and are usually a part of everyone's CCW course, and it's good to put a lot of gun newbs through this chain of thought. In multiple classes I've taken, there's always at least ONE person who thinks they're going to get to play pretend cops and robbers now that they're going to have a gun on their hip, and teaching them straightaway that the best of intentions could get them twenty to life always makes them pale and sober.

DO YOUR PART to stop the democrat majority from passing laws against our natural right to keep and bear arms, don't make excuses.
jfrey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
Cujo
IFFF CCI

Totally agree with Bill and jfrey123.