Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armed Citizen > Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2017, 02:14 AM   #21
Grumpyoldretiredcop

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

6' 275 here, my internal food supply is also ample. My answer to your quandary most of the time is a smaller pistol (G43 in my case) and pocket carry. When I carry IWB, it's the same pistol in a hybrid holster behind my strong side hip. In both cases, I carry a spare magazine in a nylon knife case on my belt, no one gives it a second glance.
Grumpyoldretiredcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
JohnnyK
"My name is NOT Johnny!"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGroove View Post
@JohnnyK what would you say are the specific characteristics of a bonafide gun belt, that differentiate it from a good quality "regular" belt?
Can you suggest the most important factors to consider when selecting a belt? What makes one stand out above the rest?
I used to carry with a Dutyman leather belt Last year I bought my first actual gunbelt and I can say one thing, there is no comparison!

The majority of higher end gunbelts will have a stiffening core of steel, kevlar, kydex, or something similar. Look at these as examples:

Hank's Belts https://www.hanksbelts.com/

Bigfoot Gunbelts http://gunbelts.com/gun-belts

FYI Bigfoot Gunbelts is a sister company of Aliengear Holsters. I happen have the Aliengear branded steel reinforced gunbelt, in fact I just bought my second one, due to weight loss.

Here is the Aliengear website http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-gun-belt.html

NRA
GOA
NAGR
USAF Retired
A hit from a .45ACP is better than a hit from a .22LR;

A hit from a .22LR is better than a miss from a .50BMG;

Obviously, Better marksmanship is the answer.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #23
VegasGroove
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
6' 275 here, my internal food supply is also ample. My answer to your quandary most of the time is a smaller pistol (G43 in my case) and pocket carry. When I carry IWB, it's the same pistol in a hybrid holster behind my strong side hip. In both cases, I carry a spare magazine in a nylon knife case on my belt, no one gives it a second glance.
@Grumpyoldretiredcop Thank you sir. My pistol is very close to the size of a G19. I think it would be a little large for pocket carry. However I've been looking at a G26 so maybe that would be a better match for pocket carry. But let me say this: that is a GREAT idea to use a simple nylon knife case as a mag pouch!! The "real" mag carriers seem disproportionately expensive, not much cheaper than the pistol holster itself. I do have a nice Aker double mag pouch but I have more mags than pouches :-) So now you have me thinking much more outside the box. I have a Leatherman carrier that will probably fit the bill quite nicely. Thank you again for a very sensible (and money-saving) idea!
VegasGroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #24
VegasGroove
uber n00b

@JohnnyK Thank you very much for the website referrals. As a big guy myself I gotta ask... how big is the belt you don't use anymore? I wear size 36 pants, maybe there's a sale opportunity here?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #25
JohnnyK
"My name is NOT Johnny!"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
@JohnnyK Thank you very much for the website referrals. As a big guy myself I gotta ask... how big is the belt you don't use anymore? I wear size 36 pants, maybe there's a sale opportunity here?
Let's just say that it's considerably larger than that!

NRA
GOA
NAGR
USAF Retired
A hit from a .45ACP is better than a hit from a .22LR;

A hit from a .22LR is better than a miss from a .50BMG;

Obviously, Better marksmanship is the answer.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #26
Paladin_702
uber Member

my favorite is a Thunderwear also known as invisible, not expensive and custom made to waist dimensions, I wear it with all kinds of pants and shorts, carrying my 3 inch 1911 and my full size 5 inch 1911 plus several reloads
Paladin_702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #27
VegasGroove
uber n00b

@JohnnyK LOL, Congrats then!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #28
VegasGroove
uber n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin_702 View Post
my favorite is a Thunderwear also known as invisible, not expensive and custom made to waist dimensions, I wear it with all kinds of pants and shorts, carrying my 3 inch 1911 and my full size 5 inch 1911 plus several reloads
@Paladin_702 Sounds interesting, may I please ask what's the difference or main distinguishing feature about that belt which makes it be considered invisible?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #29
Paladin_702
uber Member

Quote:
@Paladin_702 Sounds interesting, may I please ask what's the difference or main distinguishing feature about that belt which makes it be considered invisible?
it sits completely under your regular belt and does not print even in light weight slacks or shorts...have mine for over 15 years and no one has even sen me carrying and I can access in a split second
https://www.thunderwearholsters.com/
Paladin_702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #30
Dick Danger
uber n00b

TT Gunleather high ride pancake

Under a Duluth trading long tail T it hides a Glock 20 perfectly. I will never again carry IWB. Depending on how fluffy you around the sides you may have to really cinch up your belt to pull the grip into your body. I have one for a G19 as well and it hides even easier.
Dick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote