Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > NFA Weapons and Discussions

Notices

NFA Weapons and Discussions Machine Guns, Suppressors, Destructive Devices, Short Barreled Rifles, etc.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #21
jmano
uber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
Have to tried it with some of those "mini" shells? They double the mag cap and they have special adapter for the shockwave. Recoil is way less and no real loss of power.

Just want to have a better product/make some money, not trying to break a moronic, pointless law.
It's not about the recoil it's about how when you hold a pistol grip shotgun to aim you are way less accurate and on top of that the shotgun is out in front of you a few inches further than if you had a stock shouldered.

So you effectively make a gun that is less maneuverable, less follow up capability and less accurate.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #22
SG1
lets do it.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
That's right, it is ILLEGAL to put a stock on one of these (Raptor, or Shockwave) that you can shoulder, because that turns it into an unregistered short barreled shotgun.

And adding any "Device" that looks like a stock, and which can be shouldered like a stock, even if you call it an ammo carrier, is very likely going to get you charged as well.
So I figure the worst thing the ATF can say is "No this product is not approved", right?
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #23
jmano
uber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

One of the atf definitions of a shotgun includes the phrase "intended to be shouldered". Once you make a shockwave shoulderable it becomes a shotgun, once you make it a shotgun it is illegal at a 14" barrel length without the proper tax stamp.

The loophole is that these guns are able to fall in the tiny crack of not being classified as a shotgun but rather just a generic firearm.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #24
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
So I figure the worst thing the ATF can say is "No this product is not approved", right?
If you are asking the BATFE if it is approved and you have not installed it on a shock wave or raptor, then that could be what they say.

But if you put it on one, then ask their option, what they will say is " put your hands on top of your head and interlock your fingers, you are under arrest" .

If you want a SBS just pay the $200 and then you won't have to worry about getting a cellmate who thinks you are cuter than a kitten and wants to fill your dance card every night.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 AM   #25
SG1
lets do it.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
If you are asking the BATFE if it is approved and you have not installed it on a shock wave or raptor, then that could be what they say.

But if you put it on one, then ask their option, what they will say is " put your hands on top of your head and interlock your fingers, you are under arrest" .

If you want a SBS just pay the $200 and then you won't have to worry about getting a cellmate who thinks you are cuter than a kitten and wants to fill your dance card every night.
Ever wonder how many year John Browning would get in today`s America for just tinkering around?
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #26
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Ever wonder how many year John Browning would get in today`s America for just tinkering around?
Well., if he was licensed, NONE.

I developed a number of NFA covered devices over the years, but since I had the manufacturing tax stamp, etc. it was perfectly legal.

Of course also being a federal agent at the time was added insurance....

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #27
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Well., if he was licensed, NONE.

I developed a number of NFA covered devices over the years, but since I had the manufacturing tax stamp, etc. it was perfectly legal.

Of course also being a federal agent at the time was added insurance....
Really Steve You were a fed? I did not know this
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #28
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Really Steve You were a fed? I did not know this
Yup, 31 years worth, after I got out of the Corps.

I inherited the gun shop I grew up in, and we just moved it to wherever I was stationed in the USA.
When I was stationed outside CONUS, my wife ran it if she stayed here, and I hired a gunsmith , if she went with me on longer assignments outside USA, a retired buddy of mine managed the place and the gunsmith.

As long as I was near the shop, I did the custom gunsmithing , the more difficult repairs , if the gunsmith was an apprentice or not a Master Gunsmith.

Between apprentices and fully trained gunsmiths, I just did all the repairs and custom work during my evenings and weekends. Sometimes made for a longer wait time, but the customers never seemed to mind.

All my life I have only slept 2-3 hours out of every 24, that's all I ever needed, so it left lots of time to get things done in the shop in the middle of the night.