Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #811
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2baddogs View Post
Steve,
We have met! You schooled us on some Skeet shootin a few years back! Speaking of, I need a refresher.

Anyway, thanks for the details. I put in my calendar and second Sat in April is booked, so see you in May. I will make sure to register with Dick.

Pat
Ahh, now I remember!

I just shot 4 rounds of skeet last Friday, first skeet in almost 2 years , been busy since the wife took ill and then passed, guess I can't go that long and expect to go straight, only broke 92 of 100 , posted rounds of 21, 24,23,24, and by that fourth round my arthritic shoulders were getting tired lifting the gun......guess I will have to do a lot more of it and get back in the swing of things..........so maybe you can give me the refresher this time, Pat.

I'm getting old and the memory ain't what it ..........who's this again, and what were we talkin about?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 AM   #812
Ed1963
Pro Constitution

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I have a question my brother in law passed away in Wisconsin feb 1st he's had the same ham radio operators license since like 1957. how would a person go about a finial sign off for him or would a person get in trouble if they just done it. thanks for the info

oh yea also may have some equipment very old in great working order for sale later this year.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

A well regulated militia isn't the national guard either

{ liberals hate the truth it distorts their perception of life }
Ed1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:30 PM   #813
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1963 View Post
I have a question my brother in law passed away in Wisconsin feb 1st he's had the same ham radio operators license since like 1957. how would a person go about a finial sign off for him or would a person get in trouble if they just done it. thanks for the info

oh yea also may have some equipment very old in great working order for sale later this year.
Sorry to hear of your loss, and that your brother in law is now a "silent key" as we Hams say.

No one other than the license holder may use the licensee' s call sign, so there is no way for you or anyone else to legally "sign off" on the air using
His call sign..

You can send either a copy of his obituary or a photo copy of his death certificate along with his name and call sign to the ARRL, the American Radio Relay League, and they will put his name, call sign, state and city in the QST Ham Radio magazine, in the Silent Key tribute section, that's the usual final sign off for a ham.

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 AM   #814
Ed1963
Pro Constitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss, and that your brother in law is now a "silent key" as we Hams say.

No one other than the license holder may use the licensee' s call sign, so there is no way for you or anyone else to legally "sign off" on the air using
His call sign..

You can send either a copy of his obituary or a photo copy of his death certificate along with his name and call sign to the ARRL, the American Radio Relay League, and they will put his name, call sign, state and city in the QST Ham Radio magazine, in the Silent Key tribute section, that's the usual final sign off for a ham.
thanks will have my wife do so

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

A well regulated militia isn't the national guard either

{ liberals hate the truth it distorts their perception of life }
Ed1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #815
SundevilSG
Minute of Barn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I really need to quit being lazy and get on this.

My boy is getting older and I'm looking forward to taking him camping and exploring in a few years.

I'm sure its been asked, but does anyone have recommendations on a good, entry level battery powered handled suitable for hiking and camping?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #816
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundevilSG View Post
I really need to quit being lazy and get on this.

My boy is getting older and I'm looking forward to taking him camping and exploring in a few years.

I'm sure its been asked, but does anyone have recommendations on a good, entry level battery powered handled suitable for hiking and camping?
On the EXTREME low cost end, Bao Feng UV5R for under $30.

For durability, ease of use, reliability and ease of repair if needed, Yaesu FT60 for about $150.

Both are VHF and UHF dual band radios, the Yaesu is far easier to use however, and is waterproof to 3 meters for 30 minutes as I recall.

And you can use them with just the Technician Class or higher license.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #817
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

PS, next exam session in Pahrump is Saturday 13May 2017, if you start studying now, spend 30-60 minutes per day studying, that should be plenty of time to pass the Tech license exam.

See previous posts in this section for the free study materials from the ARRL, or drop me a note and I can point you to them.

I am a VE and will be working that exam session by the way.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #818
Jesu27
7.62x39 solution

I have a question for the hams operators here. A few years ago I got a bug to listen to shortwave. I bought a Grundig satellite 750 on a whim. I was using the copper wire method for a while with some success. Then one drunken night I broke the main attenae. I want to know what do I need to do to listen to shortwave without building a tower. I remember looking at those indoor loops but I thought the price was kinda high.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions from people who know there ****. Cause I know nothing in this matter.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Jesu27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #819
ricklaut
Quiet noob

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Others with experience in shortwave listening may come along and offer better advice, but I'd start with a "long wire" (50+ feet). You can attach it with an alligator clip, and extend it up and way, avoiding metal and other wires, preferably getting it outdoors. Cheap and easy rules the day as you learn & figure out what works.

Loops can be effective, but as you saw, they can be expensive. Some swear by them as they aren't as prone to picking up noise.
ricklaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #820
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesu27 View Post
I have a question for the hams operators here. A few years ago I got a bug to listen to shortwave. I bought a Grundig satellite 750 on a whim. I was using the copper wire method for a while with some success. Then one drunken night I broke the main attenae. I want to know what do I need to do to listen to shortwave without building a tower. I remember looking at those indoor loops but I thought the price was kinda high.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions from people who know there ****. Cause I know nothing in this matter.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Receive antennas are not very critical. Just a long wire will do for HF and it really does not have to be that long or high. The poorer antennas will often give less unwanted noise as well as less wanted signal. But it's mainly the signal to noise ratio that is important on the HF bands. So just run a random wire and see how it works. For lower frequencies you probably want the wire to be longer, but just about anything longer than 20 feet or so should work fairly well. Just try any random wire antenna length and see how it works and experiment a bit.

Transmit antennas are very critical, unlike receive only antennas. With receive antennas, the idea is simply to get the best signal and less noise,
but they usually go together on HF anyway. So just see what works.

-Don- AA6GA/7 Reno
DonTom is offline   Reply With Quote