Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #71
turborich
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForYourRight(s) View Post
I won't patronize any business of any kind that wands or searches ANY customer who comes through the door. Yes, they have the right to do it as private businesses, but I will NOT support the needless erosion of my rights by anyone in any context.

I have long since boycotted stores like Walmart that have inconsistent receipt checks at the door, so there is no way in hell I'm ever going to put up with any kind of wanding or search before I even make a purchase. Absolute garbage, and if more people had more backbone to fight back against it, we wouldn't have to have discussions like this because it simply wouldn't be a factor.
I've never once showed my receipt to anyone at Walmart. I simply say have a nice day and keep on walking.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #72
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!

Interesting it's mentioned about Wal-Mart.

I haven't been asked in years. Kinda odd in that when I am buying stuff at Wal-Mart, it's usually the 100 count shotgun shells, and usually 2 at a time. Usually paying at the ammo desk sand in back and sliding right out the front door.

Maybe I just look honest!

I dislike when they ask at frys and usually ignore them as I walk by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborich View Post
I've never once showed my receipt to anyone at Walmart. I simply say have a nice day and keep on walking.
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM   #73
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
I don't recall if it was this thread or the Reno specific wanding thread, but I elaborated at length on how many people, myself included, have been physically restrained, and some have had the cops called, been physically assaulted, etc. when attempting to just walk past receipt checkers. Walking past them worked for me for a long time, until it didn't. They crossed the line and they lost my business forever as a result.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ms-regulations
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #74
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick_six View Post
Interesting it's mentioned about Wal-Mart.

I haven't been asked in years. Kinda odd in that when I am buying stuff at Wal-Mart, it's usually the 100 count shotgun shells, and usually 2 at a time. Usually paying at the ammo desk sand in back and sliding right out the front door.

Maybe I just look honest!

I dislike when they ask at frys and usually ignore them as I walk by.
There is absolutely a component of profiling to their practice, and that is part of my problem. When I have gone in well-dressed and clean cut, I have generally had no problem. When I have gone in at the end of a long day, still wearing my mechanic's gear and looking tired/dirty, I have more often been hassled. No surprise here of course, but since I pay for my items every time, at a manned cash register, and always have my items bagged, there is zero reason to suspect me no matter what I look like.

Old Yesterday, 03:28 AM   #75
turborich
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForYourRight(s) View Post
I don't recall if it was this thread or the Reno specific wanding thread, but I elaborated at length on how many people, myself included, have been physically restrained, and some have had the cops called, been physically assaulted, etc. when attempting to just walk past receipt checkers. Walking past them worked for me for a long time, until it didn't. They crossed the line and they lost my business forever as a result.
I would have brought a lawsuit against them. They have NO right to touch you unless they actually have evidence that you stole something. At any given time Walmart has approximately 3,000 lawsuits against them.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM   #76
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Quote:
I would have brought a lawsuit against them. They have NO right to touch you unless they actually have evidence that you stole something. At any given time Walmart has approximately 3,000 lawsuits against them.
I tried to escalate my complaint up the corporate ladder, but was predictably stonewalled. At first it was just apologies, and the offer of a $25 gift card. I laughed at that, told them I'm not interested in any freebies, I'm interested in them changing their policy. Of course that's not realistic, but they tried again to bribe me into shutting up. I said I would accept no money, nor any freebies, but I would accept a personal apology from the store manager where it happened, as well as the two employees who aggressively detained me. But more importantly, I told them I wanted a letter from someone in the company with the authority to write such a letter, that clearly stated that they understand their policy is unenforceable, and that I be allowed to shop freely without ever being detained again. I also wanted an admission that their loss prevention employees in this case need to be properly trained of the law, and that their actions were wholely unacceptable, as well as against the law. Such a letter would be invaluable for anyone and everyone to use, but of course they refused. I explained that they would lose my business forever as a result.

I, like most people, do not have the means to file suit against a mega corporation like Walmart unless I have a real case and at least a fair chance of winning. It is very unlikely that it would go anywhere, consider I was neither physically harmed nor arrested. I suppose it's possible that they would simply try to settle it out of court with a cash offer, but I feel I would still be taking a chance that I would be on the hook for legal fees that I could not afford.

Besides, even a cash settlement from such a suit would not change their policy, nor would it change any of their other garbage policies, so I would rather just not give them my business any more.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #77
GlenBaker
uber Member

Location: Blue Diamond ....Renew CFP by July 8, 2021 if still alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSALES View Post
My wife and I went to the Orleans October 15 to watch K9 trials.
No problems until we arrived at top of escalators to the arena area. Had to empty pockets and walk through metal detectors. I saw hand wands on tables but did not see anyone set off the detectors to be wanded. My wife had to pen her purse and person looked into it.
I think you'll see that become more common place in large arena's.
GlenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote