Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
Ron_O
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Texas Flood Relief & Oath Keepers!

When the hurricane first hit we were going to try to pull a boat down to help out. I'm a former firefighter and that kind of stuff is right in my wheelhouse. We were in Texas on a trip to Florida a few months ago and making the drive is not a problem.

But plenty of Texas locals have brought their boats in so no need to haul from Las Vegas. I actually wanted to run supplies down to the more isolated towns that were caught in the eye of the hurricane, such as Rockport and surrounding areas. Those towns were hit hard and about 40% of the people stayed in town rather than evacuate. Now they're left without electricity and basic food, gas, and water supplies.

So a friend in California just announced that he want's to donate 60 cases of MRE's to the cause but needs someone to haul them down. I volunteered.

In the meantime I've been getting updates from Oath Keepers about their rescue needs and efforts. They are saturating an area north of Houston and meeting in the town of Livingston. They've put out a Call to Action for several types of supply needs and volunteers.

So I've been in touch with them and one of the things on their list is a desperate need for MRE's and fuel! I plan to haul the MRE's down in the van and pick up a bunch of new fuel cans so I can haul them in a trailer and make fuel runs back and forth from ground zero. I'll use the van to shuttle supplies and people wherever needed.

I have to run to California in the morning to pick up the MRE's, then load up and head east with the supplies.

First, is there anyone who can head down to Orange County to pick them up and bring them back to Vegas, which will save me around nine hours of driving? Maybe you know someone down there who can bring them up? I'll be driving 22 hours from Vegas to the Houston area, not including the California run.

If you go to the Oath Keepers site you'll see a long list of needed supplies and volunteers. The town they're working out of just lost power so they now need generators. I sold mine years ago. Go to www.oathkeepers.org to see their needs and requests.

Our fuel expenses for the trip will run $500-700 including the California run but NOT including the fuel for the fuel cans. I can legally haul 1000 lbs. of fuel without a hazmat license in Texas. That's about 120 gallons of fuel per run or $300 per load of fuel.

The fuel is needed for the volunteers with their boats as well as the local first responders. Reliable fuel sources can be hours away from them at this time. I plan to buy around 20 five gallon gas cans for the trip, an additional expense. I'll probably leave them down there once I'm finished helping out but I'd also like to head back down to help with the rebuild effort once it's under way.

We've been hammering our friends and Facebook and other social media contacts for donations for this effort. I plan on staying down as long as possible to help Oath Keepers with their many needs and requests, but we'll be spending hundreds of our own $$ in addition to loss of work income and vehicle wear and expenses. I'm planning on sleeping in my van.

I know that when we're so far away from these types of disasters we'd often like to help but just don't know where or how to reliably do it. So many of the large organizations suck up so much of their donations in admin fees. With us it'll all be going directly to the effort.

If you'd like to be part of this mission you can donate using your credit card or bank account via PayPal. We've been with them for nearly 20 years. We've set up a special donation link just for this effort. You may have to register with them if you're not already registered but it's pretty simple and fast.

We've got most of our initial fuel expenses covered at this point. But we need additional funds for fuel, water, food and other donations in Texas. Every penny will go toward the cost and we've already reached into our own pockets for the same. If there is somehow an excess of funds we'll transfer it all over to the Oath Keepers fund for further use.

My better half is waiting for official verification from FEMA because she's expected to be deployed as an interpreter in the ravaged areas for up to six weeks before heading overseas.

We plan to post pics of our experiences.

If you'd like to help out in any way then we'll be teaming up on this effort. You can donate directly via the following link:

www.PayPal.me/TexasFloodRelief

Thanks in advance for your prayers and support!

Ron and Anne
Ron_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Sorry. I tossed this around for an hour or so, but can't meet your time frame. If this request came in yesterday, I could have changed some plans for tomorrow and made the OC run.

Good luck.

USN gunner, '76-'80. - "You will always observe that the gunner's gang of every man-of-war are invariably ill-tempered, ugly-featured, and quarrelsome"

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" Ronald Reagan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
(H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
Tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:46 AM   #3
Ron_O
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog View Post
Sorry. I tossed this around for an hour or so, but can't meet your time frame. If this request came in yesterday, I could have changed some plans for tomorrow and made the OC run.

Good luck.
Thanks so much. Sorry for the late notice but things have been pretty fluid for the past several days and posting on NS was an afterthought. It was actually better that we went anyway. Turns out our California connection is a HUGE 2A advocate and self described 'prepper'. What an awesome collection of toys he has!

We rolled out of here at around 5AM, arrived there at 8:30, and were back home by 3:30PM.

Not only did our friends donate hundreds of meals but they also gave a brand new generator and cash! A great start to the trip.

1 Donations 1.jpg

1 Donations 2.jpg
Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
Ron_O
Obsessed Member

Thumbs up

Returned from Texas after several days on the road. Super burned out but feeling a bit caught up now. Watching Irma in Florida and wondering if it's going to break protocol and turn left into the Gulf region rather than run up Florida.

I drove 22 hours straight to our rendezvous point, 1430 miles. I'd been up around 34 hours by the time I finally got a few hours of sleep before morning.

The mission in Texas was much needed and fulfilling. The supplies I hauled were literally gone in a few hours. In Texas I traveled with a group of Oath Keepers volunteers from other states and we went to a town two hours south of our original staging area, making it 24 hours of driving for me that day!

OK had a mission of guarding a relief supply feeding and distribution site which also had a gun shop on site. The National Guard was there as well but they bailed without notice so we had to cover for them the next morning. They eventually returned.

We then pulled from that op and went to another a couple of hours west where we were offering protection for a newly opened warehouse north of Houston. Some of the devastation in the area was heartbreaking.

At the first location the cars were lined up several miles to receive relief supplies in the days preceding my arrival. It was nonstop while I was there. The second site was for distribution to other sites only so we had no general public there to manage or deal with.

I was going to be used as a point man to scout the hurricane ravaged Rockport area 200 miles south of us, taking along a ham operator for comms if needed. But we then learned that the reason the National Guard had pulled out was because the tap water and ground water from the receded flood waters was laced with deadly typhoid and necrotizing fasciitis bacteria (flesh eating bacteria). At least one of our members was displaying symptoms of illness and a couple of others were possibilities.

At that point I opted to head home for a couple of different reasons beyond the health concerns (I needed to decontaminate my gear and van), including the pending Hurricane Irma and deployment of my spouse to Houston with FEMA. I had to pick up our dog if nothing else and bring her back out on the road with me.

It was a great trip that I'd do again in a heartbeat. I still want to get into the Rockport area and may head that way after the weekend once we know where Irma has landed.

We were in the Florida Keys in late April while driving down on business. Still having thoughts about heading to Florida for additional relief so we'll have to see what unfolds.

I've posted a few pics from our first relief location and packed van before leaving Las Vegas. If you can make it down to Texas your help will be in great need. Lots of ways to help.

20170905_061841[1].jpg

20170905_100642[1].jpg

20170905_110129[1].jpg

20170905_110135[1].jpg

20170903_155714[1].jpg
Old 09-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #5
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Texas Flood Relief & Oath Keepers!

You're the third person I know who answered the unmade call. Well done, sir! Had a buddy from here in Sparks go down and do some technical work, and a friend from Roseville area head down to pair up with a III% group to do distribution and security. Wish I would've had the means this go around, but seeing others put their lives on hold is an inspiration to work in the future.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Good for You man. God Bless!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

awesome!

i am going to be heading into one of the disaster areas in a few weeks to help with mucking and rebuilding.

the relief effort here in TX has been amazing. I've never seen so many mobilized willing to help.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrh502 View Post
How many antifa type Hillary voters were down there helping out? Seems to me that most of not the vast majority of citizen volunteer help over there are from the rebel flag anti-hillary/leftist crowd. Just sayin'........
i guess politics goes out the window when your house has 7 feet of water in it and the very people you are trained and brainwashed to hate are the only ones coming to rescue you. that's the reality of it.

same will hold true in florida, but it seems the left's politicization machine had a few days head start on irma.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
Craig
Do Not Read This

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Great Job!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
Ron_O
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
awesome!

i am going to be heading into one of the disaster areas in a few weeks to help with mucking and rebuilding.

the relief effort here in TX has been amazing. I've never seen so many mobilized willing to help.
How's that been going? I'm trying to plan another trip back down again.

After I left, Oath Keepers discovered a town 40 miles north of Houston called Conroe, TX, that was virtually off of the public relief radar. They were once under 13 feet of water and were struggling to survive, camped in tents in their yards or sleeping in their cars.

Oath Keepers made a post including a video and placed it here:

https://www.oathkeepers.org/oath-kee...-conroe-texas/

If you go to www.OathKeepers.org you'll see that they're undergoing a massive effort to help out in Florida as well. I'd love to head that way but Texas is closer and still needs a ton of help. My better half is in Texas helping FEMA deal with Asian flood victims (she's an interpreter).

Oath Keepers needs financial aid and volunteers in both areas and have even set up a GoFundMe page for financial support for volunteers and supplies. Gas money and food really adds up in the long run for volunteers:

Gofundme.com/oathkeepersirma

Here's a video of Stewart Rhodes and the guys buying carts full of supplies at a Sam's Club in Florida:

https://www.oathkeepers.org/hurrican...ng-fellow-man/

I've had my differences over the years with Oath Keepers but have to give full credit to them for the work they're now doing in both Texas and Florida. I had a chat with Stewart Rhodes and the leadership team when I was in Texas about the need to focus on victim's aid rather than security, and it seems they've followed up in a huge way since then.

A massive plus in my book. I believe any funds sent their way will be well used in their relief efforts for the hurricane victims. The destruction and need is both epic and appreciated.