Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #1
Ramone
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The M9 Marches On

https://kitup.military.com/2017/09/m9.html
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

In my opinion the Beretta 92 is the finest service handgun ever made to date...

That said, a gun that jams ten times as often as the Beretta 92 still almost never jams!
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
Warboar
uber Member

I was issued a brand spankin new M9 at my first Unit. They took away our 1911s and handed us the new 9mms. I qualified on the M9 in basic training and just didn't care for it. I was so happy to get to my first Unit and be given the 1911. That lasted all of 3 months though and they retired them.

The M9 just didn't feel right in my hand but up to that point I had been shooting my Glock 23 and my Uncle's Colt 1911 and his Delta Elite.

Today I still am not a huge fan of the M9 but I am still able to shoot it well. My very last M9 qualification I scored 299/300. Just slightly out of the 10 ring with one round. I thought it was in(cut the outer ring) but the NCOIC in charge said otherwise.
Warboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
Koyote
Koyote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Way back in '65 our 1911's were taken away from us and replaced with Navy Colt 38's. They were too light and it was difficult to qualify as expert the way we could with our 1911's. Luckily I didn't have to put up with it for long as I got out of the service.
Only since this millennium have I gotten into firearms. My favorite for a sidearm now is a 9mm Hi-Power. Similar to a 1911, but better with a few modifications.
Recently asked my son about the M9 he carried during four tours overseas. Originally he was interested in getting the civilian version, but not anymore.
Koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Hacker
New Guy

Never really understood the groupthink hate for the M9.

Yes, there are documented times that it failed guys in the field...just as there are documented cases of every other military firearm failing at critical times in field conditions. Yes, it is large for a 9mm...but it isn't intended to be a carry piece, it is a service sidearm, so that isn't a substantial problem in my book.

I carried one into combat hundreds of times during my 20 years in the USAF, and owned a 92FS during that same period that I shot the snot out of at the range for fun. Even with the much-hated Checkmate mags, it has been a damn fine sidearm.

It may not serve as long as John Browning's masterpiece did, but the M9 has earned every bit of its honored place in the history of US combat handguns.

None of that history will be erased if the DoD picks any other handgun to replace it.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
MP15Reloader
Obsessed Member

My 92fs in my safe serves as a range toy ans test gun for developing new loads (when i loaded 9mm before the bottom dropped out)

Thing never jams and always goes bang.. Only issue i have is with my grip. I cant grip with my support hand the way i do on glocks, fn, sig, etc on the support side of the frame. That being said, its a fine pistol especially in the .40 variant if you want that little extra
MP15Reloader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
AngryRed
Dumb Founded

When you said the M9 marches on in the title, I assumed you meant the Army reversed its selection of the P320. So, the M9 marches on but not as the sidearm of the military.

I've personally never been a huge fan, I could not get used to flicking the safety up to fire but that's just my personal issue I suppose. Growing up my buddy had one and we shot it for ten years. Never had an issue but the grip was always a bit big for my hand too.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Ramone
Obsessed Member

The one big criticism of the M9 has been its grip size. A law-enforcement firearms trainer once told me, flat out, that he did not recommend the M9/92FS for this reason. The Vertec and M9A3 address this issue, and these models are a good choice for someone who wants the superior reliability and accuracy of a Beretta.

The Air Force will continue to use the M9. It seems the Navy, and perhaps the Marines, will too. It would not surprise me if the Army keeps it on in some capacity because pistols are becoming more important in military missions for personal protection as front lines shift in conflicts against insurgents.

I am confident Sig will work out its issues with the P320. With its grip that can be changed to fit different-sized hands, it should be another way for people to build their handgun handling skills. It is something everyone needs to work on.
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I agree the 92 has a too fat grip. The newer civilian versions 92 has a radius cut in the backstrap that the military versions lack to make the trigger reach a little easier, but it is still big.

I haven't gotten to try a Vertec grip but it may help. In addition the Vertec grip, Beretta also offered a version of the 92 for a while they called the "Type M" with a thinner metal frame and single stack mags... and then Beretta dumbly sold the pistol with grips twice as thick as normal grips so the overall width was almost the same. My conclusion: Whoever designs the grips for guns at Beretta has big hands.

For me I find the grip on almost all semi-auto pistols to be a little bit too big and the trigger reach a little bit far. I can still shoot them all, but I guess they design for "average" gun owners perhaps, and average gun owners have bigger hands than I do.
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote