Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Pcmaker
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Random numbers calling me

Does anyone have this problem? I've had numerous calls the past few weeks from random phone numbers. I call back and sometimes they don't answer, sometimes they say they never called me, and now, the lady says she's just returning my call, even though I never called her and my cell's call history shows that this is the first time either of us have called each other.

They sunded like residential phones, so it's not telemarketers. What the heck is going on here?
Old 01-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
totenschadel
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Yep, weird stuff happening here. Wifes exact phone number has been calling me with 712 area code instead of 702, as well as what youve mentioned. Im interested to find out more.
totenschadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Sounds like number spoofing. Someone is calling you from a spoofed number, so when you try to call back you're not actually calling back the people who called, but you're calling the rightful owner of that number. Spoofed calls like that are invariably scams.

I do not answer the phone for any unknown number outside of my area code, period. If it's important they'll leave a message, and it's no surprise that they almost never do. Doesn't happen very often though. I certainly don't call random numbers back if they didn't leave a message that's relevant to me.

I had something very annoying going on with my old phone number years ago, where I would get 2-3 calls a week where the area code and prefix were the same as mine, just the last four would change. Never left a message, usually only rang a couple times, I never once answered them. It went on like that for a good couple years before I moved and changed numbers. Internets suggest that it might be some cruise ship vacation scam crap, but I'll never know.

If someone is calling me with anything even remotely important, they'll leave a message. That's what they're for. If you can't be bothered to leave a message, I certainly won't be bothered to call back.
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Ricci

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I block them all.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

We get those too.
And get the "As a thank you for staying at one of our resorts we are giving you XXX" Sorry scam I haven't used my name to stay at any place in years.
Also you pick up the phone and silence for a few seconds then "Hello sorry I am having issues with my headset...."
I will get that then a few minutes later my mom will then a few later my sister will. I think last time I told her to fix her f***ing headset and hung up.

Several years ago my dad started to get strange calls at all hours of the day on his work cell phone. He would answer and either get hung up on or just hear heavy breathing. Finally got one guy to talk. Backpage hooker switched two numbers in her cell phone on the ad. He had to get a new number.
So his new number, the previous owner of it didn't pay any of her bills so year and years later he still gets collection agencies calling. He was able to contact the school to stop calling him when they had a message for all the parents.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!

+1 on the spoofing.

they also try to spoof numbers that have the same area code and exchange to try to get people to think is someone they know. something like 702-555-xxxx, where the only difference from my line is the last 4 numbers.

i get these on both my local 702 work cell and my personal cell.

and yeah, the last 4 numbers are random and sometimes belong to someone. older folks, and even younger ones, don't understand that you didn't call, and that it was a spoofed caller.

this is/was allowed, by law i believe. i hate asking any .gov to be involved, but i'd like to see spoofing be illegal. allow a caller to block, and say so in caller id, but spoofing isn't so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForYourRight(s) View Post
Sounds like number spoofing. Someone is calling you from a spoofed number, so when you try to call back you're not actually calling back the people who called, but you're calling the rightful owner of that number. Spoofed calls like that are invariably scams.

I do not answer the phone for any unknown number outside of my area code, period. If it's important they'll leave a message, and it's no surprise that they almost never do. Doesn't happen very often though. I certainly don't call random numbers back if they didn't leave a message that's relevant to me.

I had something very annoying going on with my old phone number years ago, where I would get 2-3 calls a week where the area code and prefix were the same as mine, just the last four would change. Never left a message, usually only rang a couple times, I never once answered them. It went on like that for a good couple years before I moved and changed numbers. Internets suggest that it might be some cruise ship vacation scam crap, but I'll never know.

If someone is calling me with anything even remotely important, they'll leave a message. That's what they're for. If you can't be bothered to leave a message, I certainly won't be bothered to call back.
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Absolutely agree, a person's phone number should be as securely protected as one's name or social security number. You can't use my social security number as your own, so why the hell should you be able to use my phone number? There is no valid reason to ever allow phone number spoofing. The technology exists so you obviously can't stop it, but you can certainly make it a punishable offense.
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
DigDugDJ
Very Active Member

Not when the spoofers are overseas and use internet/voip for those calls. Untraceable and unenforceable.
DigDugDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!

mi amigo, tengo su número de seguro social, pero sólo quiero ganar la vida honradamente.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForYourRight(s) View Post
Absolutely agree, a person's phone number should be as securely protected as one's name or social security number. You can't use my social security number as your own, so why the hell should you be able to use my phone number? There is no valid reason to ever allow phone number spoofing. The technology exists so you obviously can't stop it, but you can certainly make it a punishable offense.
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #10
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

Everyone gets those and it is a constant battle trying to eliminate them. I got allot yesterday, more than normal but I'm not normally home either. I think they say they are returning your call to prevent a penalty. I for a while reported them to the do not call center but it does no good except maybe for legitimate businesses but 99.9% of the businesses won't call you. They know how to fake numbers so they don't get caught.
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote