Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Notices

Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms The place to discuss all gun rights issues, pro-gun/anti-gun legislation and general Second Amendment topics. All other topics will be locked.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
applause NRA opposes full ban on 'bump stocks'

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The powerful U.S. gun lobby, the National Rifle Association, said on Sunday it would oppose an outright ban on bump-stock devices that the killer in the Las Vegas massacre of 58 people used to turn rifles into automatic weapons and strafe a crowd with bursts of sustained gunfire...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKBN1CD0RU
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Pcmaker
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

They oppose an outright ban, but they're open to adding it to the NFA which does not make sense. With the bump fire stocks, your finger is still pulling the trigger each time you fire.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
“We don’t believe that bans have ever worked on anything. What we have said has been very clear - that if something transfers a semiautomatic to function like a fully automatic, then it ought to be regulated differently,” Chris Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist, said on “Fox News Sunday.”
A gun should be regulated differently because it shoots "like a fully automatic"? Sounds like a bunch of non-sense. You can make any semi-automatic firearm bumpfire without adding any special devices to it. These devices just make it easier.

But with enough practice you can be this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcHPKvGDZA&t=2m50s

What's the NRA's play here?

Put it in the same bill that repeals the 1986 machine-gun ban allowing new machineguns to be registered and with a narrowly defined definition of what a "bumpstock" is (as opposed to the bills we've read that could potentially reclassify *any* drop-in trigger)... and then maybe there is something worth talking about.

Otherwise the NRA is just taking us further down the slippery slope. NRA is supposed to be a gun rights organization, not a gun control organization. It shouldn't be pushing for any regulation on guns, especially when we get absolutely nothing in return.
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture...

The NRA’s Position on Bump Fire Stocks was Genius
Old 10-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleteater View Post

I'll take a shameless plug for self promotion. I said something very similar here http://www.nevadashooters.com/showth...820#post666820 and three days earlier to boot
Old 10-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Any "compromise" where we get nothing in return... is not a compromise.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #7
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felid'Maximus View Post
Any "compromise" where we get nothing in return... is not a compromise.
Lets say ATF makes a pronouncement on bump stocks and files them under the NFA.

What we gun-owners get in return:

Months and months of gun-control talk from gun-grabbing politicians like Feinstein, leading up to a vote on an outright ban of bump stocks (and potentially OTHER things like "high-cap" mags that they secretly slip into the bill, etc) all goes away.

Knowing how crafty and slippery these political eels are, I'd rather take the ball out of their court. You do that by throwing the ball in the ATF's court.

Do you have any idea what months of fear-mongering can do to clueless sheep? Read the link I provided.

Are you willing to "die on a hill" for bump-stocks? A craptastic accessory that is owned by approx 1 tenth of 1% of gun-owners?
Old 10-10-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Quote:
Lets say ATF makes a pronouncement on bump stocks and files them under the NFA.

What we gun-owners get in return:

Months and months of gun-control talk from gun-grabbing politicians like Feinstein, leading up to a vote on an outright ban of bump stocks (and potentially OTHER things like "high-cap" mags that they secretly slip into the bill, etc) all goes away.

Knowing how crafty and slippery these political eels are, I'd rather take the ball out of their court. You do that by throwing the ball in the ATF's court.

Do you have any idea what months of fear-mongering can do to clueless sheep? Read the link I provided.

Are you willing to "die on a hill" for bump-stocks? A craptastic accessory that is owned by approx 1 tenth of 1% of gun-owners?

NRA may be meaning the ATF should regulate and not Congress (which isn't really that great anyway) but Democrats and some Republicans in Congress will put forth bills anyway (as they already are) saying "See look, even the NRA says they should be regulated." Any member of Congress opposed to the bill stands to be cast as extremist by the media by comparison to the NRA.

There is no reason Feinstein et al. can't agree with the NRA that ATF should review it, while at the same time pushing for a congressional restrictions. I don't see how the NRA stance is going to stop that.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 AM   #9
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

Absolute nonsense. Not one inch.

In a nutshell, I do NOT want the ATF deciding right and wrong for us on this issue, thus backing us into a corner that we can't get out of without not accepting the results like Hillary. I want no part of that.

I don't care if one person or 100 million people own bump stocks, they should not be banned and I will not ever accept trading one freedom for some pie in the sky compromise that is anything but, but a win for the anti-gun left.

This may not be a popular sentiment here, but this is the reason why I have never supported the NRA. They are an organization that takes your money under the guise of fighting for your rights, but they don't always fight for your rights. Not unlike a government, eh? And before you get your balls in a twist, yes, I recognize that the NRA does a lot of good, I'm not saying they're all bad, I'm just saying they should fight every single issue. Fight every single ban, fight every single piece of anti-gun legislation, never give an inch.

If anyone can show me even one single time when the left willingly compromised up front on a gun related issue, I'd love to hear about it. I'm not aware of it happening even one single time. WE do all the compromising, and I won't be a part of it!

NOT. ONE. INCH. Period.
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:03 AM   #10
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
This argument suggests that fighting tooth and nail on this one somehow weakens our position for the next argument. That is nonsense.

You're making the assumption that the NRA will buy itself some credit with the left with this move. How utterly foolish. The fickle, emotionally charged leftists that are screaming for a ban already hate the NRA, and will always hate the NRA. Going soft on this will gain the NRA no points with any of these people. It only weakens our side needlessly, for no benefit in exchange.

Again, show me even one example of the left willingly backing down on ANY gun issue. Show me even one time where THEY chose to compromise for our benefit. Show me that, and I will eat my hat, my shoes, my underwear and one other item that we'll let the forum vote on to make it interesting.

NOT ONE INCH.
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote