Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Reloading

Notices

Reloading Discussions on reloading systems, components, tips, tricks, techniques and more.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
edwillia
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Costs of reloading

I can buy 1000 rounds of loaded .223 Winchester Ammunition for about 32 cents a round. I can buy unloaded brass for about 25 cents a round. Honestly I can't see any reason to not just buy the bullets and reload them once they are fired, rather than buying raw brass. I supposed if I needed every round to be hand-loaded for extra accuracy, I might do it that way, but I don't. What do most of you do?

Second question, I load Creedmoor 6.5 ammo. It costs about $1.11 for each Lapua brass. .308 is only a little cheaper. Nosler is about the same. Hornady and Starline are about half the price. My question is, is the quality brass worse twice the price. I have heard you can reuse good brass more often, but is that plus perhaps a slight improvement in accuracy worth it if you are not loading for competition. I have heard brass is the last place you go looking for improvements in accuracy, that is after bullets, powder charge size and powder itself.
edwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
TexasJackKin
uber n00b

Location: California, waiting to escape back to America, hoping to settle in the Carson Valley area

I buy very little brass, and I don't walk past any brass, without picking it up. Nothing wrong with buying factory ammo, and saving the brass, but it's not often that I go shooting, and don't come home with more brass than I took.

Seems like most shooters don't reload, but you have to be sure you are not poaching someone else's brass, if they are trying to save it for themselves!

When shooting with my wife, and others see we are picking up our brass, it's not uncommon for other shooters to help her pick up brass, of course, she's much more social than I am and make friends quickly! Before long, you can develop quite a collection of brass! Load your calibers, and trade the rest for calibers that you do.
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
TexasJackKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
goldfish

For me, reloading is another hobby that supports my shooting hobby.
goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
TexasJackKin
uber n00b

Location: California, waiting to escape back to America, hoping to settle in the Carson Valley area

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish View Post
For me, reloading is another hobby that supports my shooting hobby.
Yup, well said!
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
TexasJackKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
Roach
#operator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwillia View Post
I can buy 1000 rounds of loaded .223 Winchester Ammunition for about 32 cents a round. I can buy unloaded brass for about 25 cents a round. Honestly I can't see any reason to not just buy the bullets and reload them once they are fired, rather than buying raw brass. I supposed if I needed every round to be hand-loaded for extra accuracy, I might do it that way, but I don't. What do most of you do?

Second question, I load Creedmoor 6.5 ammo. It costs about $1.11 for each Lapua brass. .308 is only a little cheaper. Nosler is about the same. Hornady and Starline are about half the price. My question is, is the quality brass worse twice the price. I have heard you can reuse good brass more often, but is that plus perhaps a slight improvement in accuracy worth it if you are not loading for competition. I have heard brass is the last place you go looking for improvements in accuracy, that is after bullets, powder charge size and powder itself.
I quoted so I can see what I'm responding to. On .223 I'd buy loaded rounds and then have a batch of fire formed brass to reload. I only load lake city brass in that caliber. For 308 I have lapua and LC LR brass that I bought unfired & primed. That has worked out well. My loads have exactly 1grain more powder for both 168 & 175 SMKs using Lapua brass.

Depending on what your acceptable level of accuracy is brass can make a difference. Some sort their brass by weight based on the fact that capacity varies slightly by weight. I don't do that. Expensive brass is consistent brass. Good brass lasts longer than cheap brass, but it costs significantly more.

I don't even bother reloading 9mm or .223 these days since it's so cheap. there are a lot of things I'd rather be doing than reloading ammo. I know for some it's a hobby for me it's a necessary evil. As the saying goes - you don't save any money, you just shoot a lot more.

Me:
9mm - brass from my factory rounds and anything I find cause I don't care what brand it is
.223 Lake city only
6.5 Hornady
.308 LC LR & Lapua
.338 buying Lapua
Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 AM   #6
Trapshooter12
uber Member

If your reloading for accuracy then there is a reason to reload. If your a minute of can shooter at 25 yards don't waste your time.

I buy Winchester 243 brass and neck up for my 260. I just beat a bunch of guys in a shoot today that go to great lengths to prep their brass.

There is a lot of unnecessary BS about reloading.

Justice is not blind she's a greedy like any other corporation. She doesn't use the scales to weigh justice she uses them for the money you owe her.
Trapshooter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #7
Roach
#operator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter12 View Post
If your reloading for accuracy then there is a reason to reload. If your a minute of can shooter at 25 yards don't waste your time.

I buy Winchester 243 brass and neck up for my 260. I just beat a bunch of guys in a shoot today that go to great lengths to prep their brass.

There is a lot of unnecessary BS about reloading.
@BW64 I think I found the guy that got 17/20 lol.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:43 AM   #8
BW64
SR9c

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Nah! That's not him. He doesn't shoot .260.

BW
BW64 is offline   Reply With Quote