Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Weapons Discussions > Curios & Relics

Notices

Curios & Relics 50+ years old, historically significant, or collector's firearms

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
spinecracker
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another one from the vault - Russian PU sniper

Still too quiet in this forum, so I thought I'd share photos of another interesting C&R firearm. 1943 Izhevsk PU sniper rifle. The rifle is, as almost all of them are, a post-WW2 refurb. This is a correct WW2 Russian sniper rifle with a correct WW2 PU scope. The scope was changed during the refurb. The serial numbers marked on the scope bracket match rifle and scope. The prior owner only fired 5 rounds down the barrel, got a sub-MOA group at 100 meters. I have yet to shoot this rifle.

spinecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Nice looking PU
Old 08-26-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
spinecracker
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinoons View Post
Nice looking PU
Thanks. Not anywhere near the quality of your collection (had never even heard of an SSG 82).
Old 08-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Nice, do You hand load for it?
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
spinecracker
Obsessed Member

Will do as soon as I have slugged the bore. I have brass, powder, bullets and primers, just need time.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
emcon5
Debris Blanc

Cool old rifle. Mine is a 1943 Tula, in a wartime Izhevsk stock, with a 1943 Progress scope.

Was screwing around out in the desert with a friend, with 2 steel IPSC targets at a laser ranged 708 yards. My buddy was sorting out a zero shift after installing a suppressor on his .308 bolt gun, and I took a few shots at the steel. Took 2 sighting shots to get the windage down, then 2 hits, using surplus Yugoslavian/Soviet light ball ammo.

On the third shot you can hear the steel ring right before the spotter says "I didn't even see that one" I didn't realize I hit it until I watched the video.

Once I started handloading for it, things got better.

I didn't do any proper load development and testing, I just rolled the dice on a recipe I found online, using a powder I have had great success with in this similar sized cases, good old IMR 4064. Loaded up 10 of the neck sized and 6 of the FL sized cases, enough to make sure the rifle is zeroed for the load and do one group with each. Checked the first few shots for pressure signs, they looked good, so I shot a group of each:

I waited at least 3 min between shots, so heat shouldn't be an issue, and I can't rule out sighting error, a 1" target spot is pretty small with a ~3.5X scope, and the giant post reticle on the PU is not super precise. I am pretty happy with the results.
emcon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
spinecracker
Obsessed Member

Nice. It is amazing what these rifles can do 73+ years after they were made. Had a 1943 Tula PU a couple of years ago, did some barrel wrapping, per recommendations from an old Russian manual someone kindly posted online, and worked up some handloads (ended up with Sierra .311 174gr Match Kings with 44gr IMR 4064 and Prvi brass). Managed to get 3/4" 5 round groups at 100 yards on a regular basis. With the photos below, target was 100 yards away, and I was shooting from a sandbag on a bench. Using On Target software, the 4 round group was 0.715. I moved to a different target for the last round of the day, slightly adjusted the turrets, and managed a dead center with my last shot. That was the last shot I fired with the rifle before I sold it. What the hell was I thinking???? I hope the new rifle will shoot 1/2 as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0198.JPG (47.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0199.JPG (2.3 KB, 69 views)