Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #991
chuckplumber
NRA Benefactor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am a ham too, Amateur Extra, been licensed for about 35 years I guess. I, well before moving overseas was into mostly DX, also long distance VHF and UHF as well as a bit of ATV and digital modes. If I can offer any assistance to hams or perspective hams, let me know

Jeff
WW6J
chuckplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #992
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckplumber View Post
I am a ham too, Amateur Extra, been licensed for about 35 years I guess. I, well before moving overseas was into mostly DX, also long distance VHF and UHF as well as a bit of ATV and digital modes. If I can offer any assistance to hams or perspective hams, let me know

Jeff
WW6J
Welcome! You have not said much here since September when you joined. Are you still in San Jose? I used to live in San Mateo.

I am mainly a HF CW only op. But once every couple of months, I may key up a VHF portable or something like that.

73, -Don- AA6GA, Auburn, CA
DonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #993
chuckplumber
NRA Benefactor Member

Hi Don,

I didn't have much to say. I am still living overseas, but plan to move to Dayton, NV by summer. I joined the group shortly after receiving my Nevada CFP, I figured it would be good to learn about what is going to be my new adopted state, firearm wise on here. So I mostly "listen". My license was at my Dad's place, but I lost him in August and just got around to moving it to Mom's. The last US address that I had in 2000 was in Monterey! It was living on the hill above the bay that got me into the VHF/UHF stuff. Looking forward to once again putting up a tower (or two!) and getting back into it all. Auburn is nice, I suspect that you know some of my brothers, being up there. I am also a 25+ year member of ECV. Look forward to catching you on the air
Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #994
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Hi Don,

I didn't have much to say. I am still living overseas, but plan to move to Dayton, NV by summer.
I am in Dayton fairly often, usually riding a motorcycle through it.

What country are you in?

-Don- Auburn, CA
Old 02-22-2018, 04:18 AM   #995
chuckplumber
NRA Benefactor Member

I miss the days of motorcycles... Haven't convinced the new wife on that point yet..... We are in Moscow, Russia. Before you ask, no they won't give me a license, I have an Icom 706 here as I was hopeful, 10-12 years ago that they might, but with the deteriorating US/Russia situation. It is tough, because we have a "dacha", that's a country house.We have more than an acre of land and some cool antennas could have been made. Needless to say, no guns either, excepting a pellet gun that I use at the dacha, to try to help preserve that perishable skill. Well anyhow, back soon. We are not dead set on Dayton, but is seems to tick all the boxes and we spend an in ordinate amount if time on Zillow looking at houses there!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #996
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I miss the days of motorcycles... Haven't convinced the new wife on that point yet..... We are in Moscow, Russia. Before you ask, no they won't give me a license, I have an Icom 706 here as I was hopeful, 10-12 years ago that they might,
It's been many years since I have worked a UA3. The HF bands have been so dead lately that I was happy to work a VE7 today, as even Canada almost seems like rare DX these days.

73, -Don- AA6GA Auburn, CA
Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #997
chuckplumber
NRA Benefactor Member

Yeah, I still listen around, not much of an antenna (a screwdriver in the window) but is is obvious that the sun is not with us these days.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #998
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

HAM EXAM in Pahrump Saturday, 10 March 2018 at the Nye County EOC, 1510 Siri Lane, at 1300 hrs .
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #999
De5115
uber n00b

Great info in this thread for preparing for the test. I passed my Technician License exam last month. I studied the practice exams on arrl.org for a week before taking the exam.

Ben
KI7UCC
De5115 is offline   Reply With Quote