Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Long Guns

Notices

Long Guns Rifles of all shapes and sizes...evil black rifles (EBR's), carbines, hunting rifles, shotguns, black powder, military surplus...talk about it here.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 AM   #11
mdashoot
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2788 View Post
You've been busy! An 80% lower huh? I've always wanted to do that but the whole milling out the receiver deal turned me away from it.
You can do it with a hand drill and cheap router, lucky I have a drill press and high end table routers with fine adjustments. There are tips and tricks to make them turn out perfect. Mine have turned out great but it is easy to screw up. The polymer 80% lowers are a breeze.
mdashoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
4x4Brit
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Buy. A Colt 6920 is seldom the wrong answer. They are solid rifles. If you get the itch to tinker, get a free float rail at some point in the future.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

SW MP15. Runs nice so far. Zero FT anything.

The only thing so far is I am not a rear peep site person. Need to find one of the red dots or something like that. Funding has been a little tight lately. And I am a little overwhelmed with the choices.

I'd like to try a pistol build. The Mrs may dig that too. She likes the ar, but something a bit shorter would help her.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Quote:
What did you buy for your first AR?
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
jmano

A good, reliable, inexpensive (can build a full rifle under $500) option that is somewhere between buying and building would be a Palmetto State Armory kit with whatever lower you want. Once you know the platform and what you like you can either upgrade parts later, buy what you want or build what you want.

I built my first AR and I would recommend it, best way to learn the ins and outs of the platform.

Also I don't believe that because something is most like what our government contracts means that it is anywhere near the best. The government is seldom known for buying any piece of equipment because it is merely the best. I would be willing to bet that at least a dozen members here could build something more durable, reliable, ergonomic and accurate than the M4 for less than the $1000 price tag that Colt is asking for what is essentially a bare bones AR.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #15
TAGS
Kydex holster maker

Default First AR, Buy or Build?

Buy buy buy!
TAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #16
Hacker
New Guy

With the AR market so soft currently post-election, IMHO the perfect "first AR" choice is the Colt 6920. Prices on 'em have never been so good.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
jmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
With the AR market so soft currently post-election, IMHO the perfect "first AR" choice is the Colt 6920. Prices on 'em have never been so good.
Prices have never been so good on AR's or the Colt 6920? The 6920 is still about a grand. In the same spirit I think you can get so much more than a bare bones clone of a bad "mil-spec" design.

I find it interesting that people (suckers) throw their money at any company that says "this is what our military uses". Our military was never known for buying the best and the M4 is certainly not the best, it's the most cost effective due to stock on hand and cash handed to those who decide in brown envelopes in back alleys.

Linked is an article of the now somewhat famous details of our last service rifle examination with my favorite excerpt:

"The M4/M16 family is both praised and criticized for its current performance in the field. In recent years, the M4 finished dead last in a sandstorm reliability test, against 3 competitors that include a convertible M4 variant. Worse, the 4th place M4 had over 3.5x more jams than the 3rd place finisher. Was that a blip in M4 buys, or a breaking point? The Army moved forward with an “Individual Carbine” competition, but as the results started to show the M4 again lagging – even with ammunition changed to a round specially formulated to make the M4 shine – the Army abruptly stopped the process once again, stating that the performance superiority of the competing gun was not better to a degree making it worthwhile. The Army stated after the tests that only a result that was twice as good as the existing gun’s performance would signify an actionable performance difference."
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #18
CFHxbullgod
Backpage OG

Quote:
so i'm "trying"to save money to buy my first ar. I originally was planning on saving for a colt 6920, but i'm having second thoughts if the $1,000+ is really worth it. It's supposedly the closest thing you can buy to an actual m4, which to me sounds weird because i thought all ar's were pretty much m4's anyways minus the select fire but whatever.

Then i started thinking about buying a s&w m&p 15 sport ii, the cost isn't bad. But i just recently watched a video on youtube of an ar being assembled step by step and thought it was interesting. I was intrigued since i get a kick out of putting things together.

So my question is, since this will be my first ar, would i be better off buying one of the first two options i listed? Or would i get more for my money building one instead?

Thanks!
don't listen to none of these people build build build build build build build build build build
CFHxbullgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:15 AM   #19
Cirdan
uber Member

Buy and upgrade. By the time you're done, you will have built.
Windham SRC, H&R Pardner Pump
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #20
4x4Brit
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

OK, seeing as you will end up buying a second AR (and if you are thinking one is enough you are sorely mistaken and deluded), buy the first one and buy a stripped lower at the same time. Then started saving for parts and build a second rifle as you can afford it. Bingo! Problem solved!
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote