Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Specialty Discussion: Long Guns > AR Platform

Notices

AR Platform Anything and Everything having to do with the LEGOs of all rifles! Show us your pics too!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
nick2788
uber n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sunrise Manor, NV
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default First AR, Buy or Build?

So I'm "trying"to save money to buy my first AR. I originally was planning on saving for a Colt 6920, but I'm having second thoughts if the $1,000+ is really worth it. It's supposedly the closest thing you can buy to an actual M4, which to me sounds weird because I thought all AR's were pretty much M4's anyways minus the select fire but whatever.

Then I started thinking about buying a S&W M&P 15 Sport II, the cost isn't bad. But I just recently watched a video on YouTube of an AR being assembled step by step and thought it was interesting. I was intrigued since I get a kick out of putting things together.

So my question is, since this will be my first AR, would I be better off buying one of the first two options I listed? Or would I get more for my money building one instead?

Thanks!
nick2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

 
Tophog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pahrump
Posts: 13,456
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default

With all the mix and match options out there, more for your money doing it yourself. Plus the benefit of knowing exactly how they work, how to fix 'em, and the satisfaction of DIY.
__________________


USN gunner, '76-'80. - "You will always observe that the gunner's gang of every man-of-war are invariably ill-tempered, ugly-featured, and quarrelsome"

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" Ronald Reagan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
Tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
MrTuna
Former Moderator
 
MrTuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 7,936
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default First AR, Buy or Build?

My first AR 15 was the Colt 6920. They are solid and reliable but they are not what most people are running. A Bravo Company AR 15 with a mid length gas system and a free float hand guard would give you more options for using a forward grip and attaching accessories etc. Building is usually more expensive but with all the great stuff available you can put together a really good one for a decent price if you know what to prioritize.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows"
Epictetus
MrTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
nick2788
uber n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sunrise Manor, NV
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuna View Post
My first AR 15 was the Colt 6920. They are solid and reliable but they are not what most people are running. A Bravo Company AR 15 with a mid length gas system and a free float hand guard would give you more options for using a forward grip and attaching accessories etc. Building is usually more expensive but with all the great stuff available you can put together a really good one for a decent price if you know what to prioritize.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, never heard of Bravo Company before. I'll have to take a look. Right now I'm leaning towards a build. I don't have alot of money so I was thinking of buying everything in sections. Start with the stripped lower and then move on to the lower parts kit, etc, etc.

Well see...
nick2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
titanNV
NRA Endowment Member

 
titanNV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 7,374
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default

If you are a collector, the 6920 would be my vote.

If a shooter, there are some great prices on factory builds from Ruger, Anderson, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc.

If a hobbyist, spend a few dollars on some tools that make it easy and build your own.

My vote is buy all 3! Ha ha
__________________
titanNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 AM   #6
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

As an ar noob, my theory was buy my first and learn. Prices seemed to be good when. I bought and I like what I chose

Later I can build, once I see how thing work and understand more about what I like and what i don't.
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 AM   #7
nick2788
uber n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sunrise Manor, NV
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick_six View Post
As an ar noob, my theory was buy my first and learn. Prices seemed to be good when. I bought and I like what I chose

Later I can build, once I see how thing work and understand more about what I like and what i don't.
What did you buy for your first AR?
nick2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:24 AM   #8
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith
 
Gullwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NLV
Posts: 6,519
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2788 View Post
What did you buy for your first AR?
Build your own lower and buy an upper. Shoot it and then figure out what you really want because that will change.
__________________
Give a man a fire, he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!
Gullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
mdashoot
Obsessed Member
 
mdashoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Las Vegas
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

I bought my first one (Spikes Tactical ST-15 16" Mid-Length LE Rifle) about 8 years ago. Since then it has been highly upgraded. Next rifle I built from the first style billet upper and lowers that Spikes had and about 3k later I had a bad @ss 18" SPR with a SWFA SS 3-9x40 scope, I sold that to a good friend and since then have built 3 more. first, a 10 inch pistol from a Jtactical 80% lower and upper, a 7.5 inch pistol from a forged 80% lower and upper from the same place, and last, a light weight 18" SPR from an 80% jtactical lower and matching upper for my wife for Christmas. That was a fun build and turned out awesome. After you tinker with one a bit and get the right tools it is simple to build your own.
mdashoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 AM   #10
nick2788
uber n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sunrise Manor, NV
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdashoot View Post
I bought my first one (Spikes Tactical ST-15 16" Mid-Length LE Rifle) about 8 years ago. Since then it has been highly upgraded. Next rifle I built from the first style billet upper and lowers that Spikes had and about 3k later I had a bad @ss 18" SPR with a SWFA SS 3-9x40 scope, I sold that to a good friend and since then have built 3 more. first, a 10 inch pistol from a Jtactical 80% lower and upper, a 7.5 inch pistol from a forged 80% lower and upper from the same place, and last, a light weight 18" SPR from an 80% jtactical lower and matching upper for my wife for Christmas. That was a fun build and turned out awesome. After you tinker with one a bit and get the right tools it is simple to build your own.

You've been busy! An 80% lower huh? I've always wanted to do that but the whole milling out the receiver deal turned me away from it.
nick2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33 PM.




Ammo Supply Warehouse New Frontier Armory
Fight Focused Concepts GUNSMITHING
by Deus Ex Machina
Precision Armory


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.