Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
lvjunk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any SCUBA divers out there?

I just got back from diving Palancar Reef off of Cozumel and it's beautiful. I've dove a few other times in Hawaii, but always as a tourist.

After this dive I'm considering getting my PADI cert if there are places in SoCal (sorry Lake Mead doesn't seem interesting to me right now) that can match the visibility and beauty that's drawing me in. I'm going to have to dive more frequently to make the cert worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lvjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
icode
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Sports Chalet on Marks St. used to have a certification program. While they are not there any more I mention that because there may be other places in town which have similar programs. My wife has friends that are SCUBA divers and they tell her Lake Mead is fabulous for diving FWIW. Good luck.
Democracy will continue until voters discover that they can vote generous gifts from the public treasury. [Then] the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits .... then every democracy will finally collapse, which is always followed by a dictatorship. - A. Tytler

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - J. Adams

If abortions were performed with guns Liberals would be pro-life.
icode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Gunhand
Firearms Instructor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

California is a crap shoot. There are days that the visibility is outstanding, and the next day it's "can't see your hand in front of your face" lousy.

The other California issue is it is usually cold diving. August through early September is the warmest it gets, and you're going to need a minimum of a 7mm wet suit, hood, and gloves.

Several of the dive shops run specials on trips to great places like Bonaire, Honduras, and the Philippines. If you don't like cold diving, then save your money for a couple of trips.
“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” Ronald Reagan
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I got certified at Lake Mead. I usually get to dive tropical once or twice a year. I still enjoy diving inland at Lake Mead, lake mojavie, or somewhere else close. I think it's just fun to get underwater.

PADI is a lifetime cert with no re-cert, so just get it and be done with it.

Coldest I've dove was Lake Tahoe. 54 degrees even in summer. 7mm wetsuit was barely enough. If I was going to dive cold regularly i'd go dry.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #5
lvjunk

So what's out at lake mead to see besides the bass and carp (there's a few others) that I can see while doing laps at boulder beach?

Interesting reminder Gunhand. I forget that this part of the pacific is cold water.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #6
YoungGun
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have a friend (right here in Vegas) that was a scuba instructor (don't know if he still teach but he still dives at Lake Mead regularly). I can ask him for more info if you're interested. Send me a pm of all your questions and I'll forward them to him.

Yg

"...if you're not offended by something, you're not living life..." Erick Erickson in for Rush Limbaugh 12/24/13.

"If one day ..., why not today!" AV.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
Irishhunter
uber n00b

Default scuba

I dive, going to key largo in two weeks to wreck dive. I recently moved here from Indy so I am used to diving lakes and quarry s

If anyone wants to dive local I am in. I have my own gear minus a tank
Irishhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 AM   #8
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

ell nothing in California is going to compare to Cozumel. I have several hundred dives there and it is a unique gem.California offers a different type of world like the Emerald Forest (great name for a bunch of kelp), The channel Islands (clear on day and muck the next). Any way you cut it it's all too cold, I don't do wet suits anymore, too much work.

Lake Mead is OK for it's convenience but you dive there most on structure like cliffs and walls on the Arizona side. Everything else is just flat silt bottoms with an occasional fish. Once again too much work to get in and out of wet suits and the only way to get to anything considered good is by boat.

Get certified and save your money for the good spots. Cozumel is about the best on this side of the big blue marble or save up for a live aboard in Palau or Indonesia. I'll take a 5 to 10 days in a great place with 80* water over months of boring cold water dives.

Do your school here and get a referral and do your open water dives back in Cozumel.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
lvjunk

Thanks for the input QuickDraw. I've been lured in again by the beauty but stuck in a place where it's not readily accessible. I'll check trips to Cozumel and the Keys, if they're affordable to get to every couple years maybe I'll "dive in". I'm just looking for some relaxation and beauty to get my mind off work. I'm also going to look at some California dive videos this weekend to see what I think.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
Pale Rider
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icode View Post
Sports Chalet on Marks St. used to have a certification program. While they are not there any more I mention that because there may be other places in town which have similar programs. My wife has friends that are SCUBA divers and they tell her Lake Mead is fabulous for diving FWIW. Good luck.
All of them offered classes. As baron as Vegas is in terms of land locked there are a TON of certified instructors in town. There were a couple of dive shops located in Boulder City whom you can probably still find classes at a reasonable rate versus a private instruction from many of the dive masters in town.

You might also PM Keith on this forum, if he still posts, I believe he completed his Dive Master cert.