Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Long Guns

Notices

Long Guns Rifles of all shapes and sizes...evil black rifles (EBR's), carbines, hunting rifles, shotguns, black powder, military surplus...talk about it here.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
Mohave-Tec
Expert...somethin 'rother

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick_six View Post
SW MP15. Runs nice so far. Zero FT anything.

The only thing so far is I am not a rear peep site person. Need to find one of the red dots or something like that. Funding has been a little tight lately. And I am a little overwhelmed with the choices.

I'd like to try a pistol build. The Mrs may dig that too. She likes the ar, but something a bit shorter would help her.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Mine has the "peep sites" and an Aimpoint Pro. All 3 line up perfectly for a 50 yard poa.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
Mohave-Tec

I probably wouldn't have an AR today if I hadn't put together my first one. I just wanted to build one.
I gave the configuration a lot of thought. After all these years I still haven't changed a thing; it's just the way I wanted it. I really enjoyed the experience and the education obtained by putting one together by myself.
Mine is largely a JT Enterprises and Bravo Company build.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #23
nick2788
uber n00b

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm leaning heavily towards building one as of right now and I'm looking for some good prices on quality lowers online or local. I prefer local so that I don't have to pay for shipping and wait time.

By the way, someone brought up the point of owning more than one AR. Out of curiosity, what would be the point/advantage of owning more than one type of the same rifle?

Thanks!
nick2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #24
mdashoot
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default First AR, Buy or Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2788 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm leaning heavily towards building one as of right now and I'm looking for some good prices on quality lowers online or local. I prefer local so that I don't have to pay for shipping and wait time.

By the way, someone brought up the point of owning more than one AR. Out of curiosity, what would be the point/advantage of owning more than one type of the same rifle?

Thanks!
Different calibers, I have an 18" SPR that will get a scope and be used more for precision shooting out to 300 or so yards, my 16" has a red dot and is great for 200 yards or home defense, then come the pistol AR's, one 10.5" and another 7.5", also good for HD but more for fun. The main reason though, it's addicting once you build one.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
mdashoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #25
4x4Brit
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

That's basically it. Different purposes.

If you are looking for a quality lower, the store on Durango on the east side of the street near 215 (where the Starbucks shooting went down) had complete Bravo Company lowers at one time.

Edit: Freedom Firearms
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 AM   #26
Mohave-Tec

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what would be the point/advantage of owning more than one type of the same rifle?

Thanks!
Just because...
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #27
nick2788
uber n00b

Some here have suggested Anderson as a good brand for a lower to start a build on.

I was talking with some people on CalGuns about building an AR and somebody there mentioned that Anderson is okay and that it will work, but supposedly it's low end and the finish quality is often not so good.

Opinions?
nick2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #28
4x4Brit
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Can't comment on finish quality but of more concern is that their quality control is suspect to where you may get an out of spec lower. Buy a lower from a company know for quality and you take away that variable. My experience is Mega, Noveske and Aero Precision. Never had an issue with any of those but moreover, you won't much out there on issues, especially Noveske and Mega. People will likely post they haven't had any issues with their Anderson lowers but the info is out there. The real question is do you want to gamble? To a lesser extent, the same goes for Palmetto State Armory.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #29
Hacker
New Guy

Quote:
Some here have suggested Anderson as a good brand for a lower to start a build on.

I was talking with some people on CalGuns about building an AR and somebody there mentioned that Anderson is okay and that it will work, but supposedly it's low end and the finish quality is often not so good.

Opinions?
I have assembled ARs on many different brands of lowers, and never noticed any difference in tech specs or finish that mattered.

I have a half dozen Anderson lowers sitting in my safe, and none of them have a problem with "finish quality" IMO.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 AM   #30
jmano

Quote:

Opinions?
IMO:

When building an AR probably the last two things that determine the quality of your build is the upper and lower receiver. People focus way too much on the receivers, when barring any major defect will factor very little into the end result quality.

The quality of an AR build starts with your barrel, BCG and LPK, with more focus being on the first two. After that it's just about personal preference.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote