Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armed Citizen > Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #41
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

And unfortunately until the DA or AG puts that decision in writing they still carry little weight as whoever follows them can have a different opinion and there is no case law or written opinions saying otherwise.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 AM   #42
Big Cholla
uber Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I am late to this thread. I have now read every work posted so far. I too am a retired So. Nevada LEO, but not from METRO. I was in the very first batch of certified CCW Instructors for So. Nevada way back when. My understanding of the intent of the NRS laws is exactly the same as 'RetiredLasVegasCop'. I was taught and so taught that private property including outside the home is exempt from the specific where-fores and why-fores of the NRSs establishing "public CCW laws". The same goes for a business location. In addition I was taught and so taught that the CCW NRSs did not apply to a person that is a legitimate customer or member of an established rifle or pistol range. So, if one wants to practice the draw from concealed before being granted a CCW it is legal to do so while at a range that permits such practice.

If a business owner wants to employ a trained individual security person to carry concealed but is who not a Nevada CCW licensee, the owner may do so on those premises. .......

I am not an attorney. I did know active and retired LEOs that held a Law Degree, but were not practicing attorneys. I found in my experience that the interpretation of the law means only what a Judge says it means until that Judge is appealed and reversed. The interpretation of what I thought the law meant has and had no legal status whatsoever......
Big Cholla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #43
varminter22
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinoons View Post
And unfortunately until the DA or AG puts that decision in writing they still carry little weight as whoever follows them can have a different opinion and there is no case law or written opinions saying otherwise.
I certainly agree.

Since this topic comes up rather frequently, perhaps someone here could/should ask a district or city attorney to request an official Nevada Attorney General opinion.
varminter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #44
RetiredLasVegasCop
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cholla View Post
I was taught and so taught that private property including outside the home is exempt from the specific where-fores and why-fores of the NRSs establishing "public CCW laws". The same goes for a business location. In addition I was taught and so taught that the CCW NRSs did not apply to a person that is a legitimate customer or member of an established rifle or pistol range. So, if one wants to practice the draw from concealed before being granted a CCW it is legal to do so while at a range that permits such practice.
Perfect scenario.. thanks..
RetiredLasVegasCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #45
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cholla View Post
I was taught and so taught that private property including outside the home is exempt from the specific where-fores and why-fores of the NRSs establishing "public CCW laws". The same goes for a business location. In addition I was taught and so taught that the CCW NRSs did not apply to a person that is a legitimate customer or member of an established rifle or pistol range. So, if one wants to practice the draw from concealed before being granted a CCW it is legal to do so while at a range that permits such practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLasVegasCop View Post
Perfect scenario.. thanks..
Lets not forget the most important part of Big cholla's post

Quote:
I found in my experience that the interpretation of the law means only what a Judge says it means until that Judge is appealed and reversed. The interpretation of what I thought the law meant has and had no legal status whatsoever......
Until we get a DA, the AG, or a judge on the record none of anyone's interpretations here amount to a hill of beans.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 AM   #46
RetiredLasVegasCop
uber n00b

Quote:
Lets not forget the most important part of Big cholla's post

Until we get a DA, the AG, or a judge on the record none of anyone's interpretations here amount to a hill of beans.
That part isn't important to me, because I know my rights.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #47
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Quote:
That part isn't important to me, because I know my rights.
Please see previous post regarding our (the public's) trepidation at taking law enforcement's word at any interpretation of the law.

Just because you say it's okay doesn't mean the next officer feels that way. Or the officer after that. Or the third one I may deal with.

Being cautious of the meaning of the law won't land me in jail. Listening to your claimed interpretation may if I run into an officer who interprets the law differently.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #48
RetiredLasVegasCop
uber n00b

Quote:
Please see previous post regarding our (the public's) trepidation at taking law enforcement's word at any interpretation of the law.

Just because you say it's okay doesn't mean the next officer feels that way. Or the officer after that. Or the third one I may deal with.

Being cautious of the meaning of the law won't land me in jail. Listening to your claimed interpretation may if I run into an officer who interprets the law differently.
I said "I" know my rights. Never mentioned you.

But, you are correct in saying "Being cautious of the meaning of the law won't land me in jail".

But if not understanding the law, how and why laws are made, and where laws are applicable made me afraid to walk naked in my house, carry concealed at the range, carry concealed in my own home, etc etc. I would take it upon my own to learn about how laws are made, how and why laws are made, and where laws are applicable, so that I don't falsely scare others.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #49
Kinoons
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I said "I" know my rights. Never mentioned you.

But, you are correct in saying "Being cautious of the meaning of the law won't land me in jail".

But if not understanding the law, how and why laws are made, and where laws are applicable made me afraid to walk naked in my house, carry concealed at the range, carry concealed in my own home, etc etc. I would take it upon my own to learn about how laws are made, how and why laws are made, and where laws are applicable, so that I don't falsely scare others.
However you must admit that even other officers state that their interpretation of the laws does not matter. Only the opinion of the ADs, AGs, and judges carry any weight.

You also completely glossed over the evidence I produced regarding laws that are not intended to apply to a person in their home and the legislature including language stating such. This has been done previously, so why would the legislature not include this language in the section of the law concerning concealed firearms if they intended for there to be an exception for persons on their own privately held property?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #50
varminter22
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Boys, it ain't worth arguing/discussing any further. We've been over it many times.

I would suggest requesting an appropriate official ask for an official AG opinion. (AG opinions are not provided in response to a mere citizen's inquiry.)

Or, of course, one could get cited and get a court verdict!
varminter22 is offline   Reply With Quote