Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Notices

Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms The place to discuss all gun rights issues, pro-gun/anti-gun legislation and general Second Amendment topics. All other topics will be locked.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
GlenBaker
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post High-Capacity Magazine BAN Organizing NOW. ?? ARE WE READY ??

In the Las Vegas Sun this morning Dec. 11, 2016.
High-capacity magazine ban a must for Nevadansí safety
It doesn't matter if you read the Sun or don't read the Sun. This crap is happening. We can start the fight now (that means organizing and that means YOUR TIME and MONEY), or we can sit on our arse and wait until the 11 hour hoping some "White Knight" with deep pockets shows up. Humm, we all know how well that worked with Question 1.

High-capacity magazine ban a must for Nevadansí safety

SUN EDITORIAL:
Dec. 11, 2016.
By overwhelmingly supporting universal background checks for firearms purchases, Clark County voters made it abundantly clear last month that they were concerned about gun violence.

Now, itís time for Las Vegas-area lawmakers to go a step further to protect Nevadans and push to ban the sale of high-capacity magazines in the state.

Eight states and the District of Columbia already have imposed such prohibitions, and with good reason. Thereís simply no legitimate civilian use for magazines that hold dozens upon dozens of rounds of ammunition.

Donít believe us? Fine, then listen to Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo.

ďIím a very avid hunter, I was in the military myself, and thereís no need to have a high-capacity magazine for any practical reason,Ē Lombardo said during a recent interview with the Sun.

To the contrary, the dangers posed by such magazines are obvious. Lombardo says the time it takes for suspects to change magazines gives potential victims an opportunity to escape and law enforcement officials an opportunity to safely fire back. That being the case, the fewer times a shooter has to switch out magazines, the fewer the chances for people to get away and authorities to get a protected shot.

Itís also not uncommon for guns to jam during magazine change-outs, Lombardo says.

That being the case, a ban on sales makes sense.

Of course, the NRA crowd will howl at this suggestion like the Constitution is being set on fire. We can practically hear them now: It will make law-abiding, responsible gun owners less able to protect themselves and their property! Itís a step toward the government disarming citizens!

Neither of those arguments makes any sense. Unless we missed the news that the nation is being ravaged by literal armies of burglars, itís difficult to imagine a scenario in which someone would need a 100-round magazine to protect their home from intruders.

And as far as disarming the American people, this isnít a call for a ban on all magazines or semi-automatic weapons. The states that have imposed restrictions still allow for 10- or 15-round versions, which would be an acceptable model for Nevada.

Plus, the argument that a firepower restriction makes Americans more vulnerable to a governmental takeover may have been logical in the days of single-shot muskets, but what level would make people feel safe enough today? Allowing them to have machine guns? Tanks? Their own squadron of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters? Because the government has all those things, you know.

Plus, the argument that a firepower restriction makes Americans more vulnerable to a governmental takeover may have been logical in the days of single-shot muskets, but what level would make people feel safe enough today? Allowing them to have machine guns? Tanks? Their own squadron of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters? Because the government has all those things, you know.

So letís allow rational thinking to prevail when it comes to high-capacity magazines. Restricting sales could help protect people in tragic shootings ó potential victims and the responding authorities. And given that thereís no practical use for the magazines, thereís not a downside.

The Clark County Democrats who were swept back into control of the Legislature during last monthís election should feel emboldened to take action on the issue during the 2017 session, given that the background check initiative passed by more than 100,000 votes here.

No doubt, there will be resistance among the rural legislative representatives, given that the ballot measure failed in every county but Clark County. But itís worth the fight. With Metro saying a rise in gun violence has helped raise the murder rate in 2016 to its highest level in 20 years, residents in the Las Vegas Valley have every reason to support reasonable restrictions on firearms.
GlenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
lvjunk

Default High-Capacity Magazine BAN Organizing NOW. ?? ARE WE READY ??

Well one could start by reminding them that there are those that do legally own tanks and jets. Perhaps not the recent ones, but nonetheless they exist.

Or one could point out that these continued attempts at prohibition are doomed to failure:
1. Alcohol - failed
2. Drugs - failed
3. Guns - guaranteed failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lvjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
danco
uber Member

I expect an assault weapons ban attempt too.

Democrats control both the State Assembly and the Senate, so we have our work cut out for us.
danco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
geo
Administrator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Yeah, well one thing is for sure, we can for a fact show that if we give an inch (Background checks) they will take a yard (Mag and gun feature bans)

Imagine the business and jobs they would chase out of this state, how many places are set up to fire full auto stuff for tourists, how much gun manufacturing takes place in this state?

One thing is for sure, even if its just people from Nevada Shooters, we need to get out and educate people on this issue. If they get a mag ban, assault weapons are next.. if they get that we are no better than California.. and a lot of us will be forced to move.

Opinion pieces like that are put out as "feelers" to see what kind of reaction they get from it. Someone needs to write a rebuttal against it in next weeks paper, and then we should all take turns sending in rebuttals non stop. Its all about perception, if they think enough people will roll over and take it, they will push for it... if it looks like we have the numbers against it, they will back off and try something else.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
geo
Administrator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

There is a bright spot however.. only in Clark does the sheriff seem to agree with these laws.

Maine, Nevada Sheriffs Tell Anti-Gunners to Pound Sand

Twelve of Maine’s 16 county sheriffs have essentially told anti-gunners backing a so-called “universal background check” to pound sand, explaining that it “will do nothing to stop evil people from getting their hands on guns.”

Meanwhile, as noted by Guns.com, all but one county sheriff in Nevada is opposed to the measure which is also supported by Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety.

http://libertyparkpress.com/maine-ne...to-pound-sand/
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
NJDevils72
Very Active Member

One of the commenters on the article made a good point: they are talking about standard capacity magazines, not high capacity. We need to push that fact.
NJDevils72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
GlenBaker
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
There is a bright spot however.. only in Clark does the sheriff seem to agree with these laws.

Maine, Nevada Sheriffs Tell Anti-Gunners to Pound Sand

Twelve of Maineís 16 county sheriffs have essentially told anti-gunners backing a so-called ďuniversal background checkĒ to pound sand, explaining that it ďwill do nothing to stop evil people from getting their hands on guns.Ē

Meanwhile, as noted by Guns.com, all but one county sheriff in Nevada is opposed to the measure which is also supported by Bloombergís Everytown for Gun Safety.

http://libertyparkpress.com/maine-ne...to-pound-sand/
While I agree with you, we also had the backing of 14 of our State's sheriff's against question 1 and we still lost. Sorry, I can't be more optimistic (as some want me to be). That is the reality of the situation.

I admit I was wrong about the margins I thought question 1 would pass, I predicted 60% for passage of question 1 to 40% against.
Remember if this Hicap Mag Ban passes in the Legislature and the Governor veto's it and it isn't overridden, then a ballot initiative can become a question for the voters to vote on. Perhaps another "Question 1" all over again.
GlenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
garand_guy
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Opinion pieces like that are put out as "feelers" to see what kind of reaction they get from it. Someone needs to write a rebuttal against it in next weeks paper, and then we should all take turns sending in rebuttals non stop. Its all about perception, if they think enough people will roll over and take it, they will push for it... if it looks like we have the numbers against it, they will back off and try something else.
I agree. We need to start beating the drums of negative reaction. Start with emails to Scummy Joe, bitching in the comments online, sending negative tweets, posting the truth on Facebook, etc.

I doubt Sandoval would ever sign anything this retarded, but who knows what could happen this year. Boise is looking better and better every year.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Maxx
Infamous Member

The well funded Bloomberg anti-gun machine is going to attack our gun rights incrementally.
We are very vulnerable now that we have a Democrat legislature and a RINO governor.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:12 AM   #10
SG1
lets do it.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
I agree. We need to start beating the drums of negative reaction. Start with emails to Scummy Joe, bitching in the comments online, sending negative tweets, posting the truth on Facebook, etc.

I doubt Sandoval would ever sign anything this retarded, but who knows what could happen this year. Boise is looking better and better every year.
He is in his 2nd term, right? What does he have to lose?

Thank god he is in office until 2018.

**** Sherriff Joe, I can not believe I may have voted for that asshate.

This is what we get when we elect cucks, this is what they ****ing do. They waste a chance to pass laws that would prevent this.

Could of created and signed a "2nd Amendment Protection Act" that would make such bans/registration, of semi autos/mags illegals, but NOOOOOOOOO...We got a tax hike.
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote