Rimfire All things .22 rimfire related

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
FlyingTiger85
uber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The Best 22 Rifle I Ever Owned

This Henry Silver Eagle has become my favorite,most accurate,quality 22 I have.I have a 10/22 with 25 round mags but there's something nostalgic about a lever rifle that's slower but is just as fun in different ways.Never for sale and is a keeper to be handed down.With a little persistence there is no 22lr.shortage at Sportsmans Warehouse,Cal-ranch or Ventura Munitions a sure bet.The action is very smooth and easy on the fingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0459 (640x480) (3).jpg (32.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0462 (640x480) (2).jpg (30.2 KB, 117 views)
FlyingTiger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
MP15Reloader
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTiger85 View Post
This Henry Silver Eagle has become my favorite,most accurate,quality 22 I have.I have a 10/22 with 25 round mags but there's something nostalgic about a lever rifle that's slower but is just as fun in different ways.Never for sale and is a keeper to be handed down.With a little persistence there is no 22lr.shortage at Sportsmans Warehouse,Cal-ranch or Ventura Munitions a sure bet.The action is very smooth and easy on the fingers.
While I am undoubtedly younger than you, my first rimfire.. first weapon at all actually was a ruger 10/22 my stepfather got for me when I was 13. I remember it being bone stock and over the years, putting the overmolded stock, scope, bull barrel....

Its a rifle that has never jammed, never had a problem with ammo and up until recently, never expensive to feed. I would have shooting sessions with this thing firing 1000 rounds at a time in an afternoon. The nostalgia of that is why I wouldnt even consider selling my 10/22. I have it to this day, 17 years later and it continues to shoot flawless and accurate. Only thing I have ever changed is a firing pin and extractor after they both wore out.

Not bad for a rifle that at the time, ran $200. I still think about picking up another one, maybe a takedown, but nothing could ever dethrone my 10/22 as having the #1 slot in my safe.

I have yet to shoot a lever action but lately I have been looking for some older Marlins or perhaps one in .357. Something unique to me about a lever action but not nostalgic because I have never fired one...but even to us younger guys, lever actions have their place and someday I WILL own one.
MP15Reloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
FlyingTiger85
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP15Reloader View Post
While I am undoubtedly younger than you, my first rimfire.. first weapon at all actually was a ruger 10/22 my stepfather got for me when I was 13. I remember it being bone stock and over the years, putting the overmolded stock, scope, bull barrel....

Its a rifle that has never jammed, never had a problem with ammo and up until recently, never expensive to feed. I would have shooting sessions with this thing firing 1000 rounds at a time in an afternoon. The nostalgia of that is why I wouldnt even consider selling my 10/22. I have it to this day, 17 years later and it continues to shoot flawless and accurate. Only thing I have ever changed is a firing pin and extractor after they both wore out.

Not bad for a rifle that at the time, ran $200. I still think about picking up another one, maybe a takedown, but nothing could ever dethrone my 10/22 as having the #1 slot in my safe.

I have yet to shoot a lever action but lately I have been looking for some older Marlins or perhaps one in .357. Something unique to me about a lever action but not nostalgic because I have never fired one...but even to us younger guys, lever actions have their place and someday I WILL own one.
By nostalgic I mean symbolic of the old West with the octagon barrel and lever action old school.I know what you mean about shooting lot's of rounds in a 10/22.A couple of days back I went shooting my 10/22 stainless breakdown and went through 500 rounds of the federal blue box.I had 4 mags with me and I couldn't believe I shot so much ammo.Hey!What makes you think I'm so old?Ha!Ha!
P.S.Yes, Ruger makes good stuff I have many of them,flawless and accurate.Like you say!
FlyingTiger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
bigtubby
Banned
I've been Banned!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I am with you on the lever guns my gun of choice is the Marlin 39A got a pair of them one Mountie one pistol grip both are great shooters
bigtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
5.56 AP
425A

Another 10/22 owner here too, but I know what you mean about a cool nostalgic style rifle. For me it's this one. My Rossi Model 62 pump action takedown .22lr. It's a copy of Winchester's Model 62.

5.56 AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
donthreetens

I added a Henry Evil Roy .22 a few months back to my lever action collection. this puppy is one heck of a shooter. from 25 to 100 yards it is the most accurate shooter in my .22 rifles.
donthreetens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #7
NASA
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

In 1959 my Mom bought me a Remington Nylon 66 for my birthday. Never had a single issue with it. My first gun and I still have it.
NASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #8
Wildrose
uber n00b

Default we're a dying breed

Not many of us are left who remember going to a fair/carnival and actually shooting a Winchester pump 22. To me at least, nostalgia equals the Winchester 61 or 62. This Rossi 62 pump is a tasty piece of cake given those Winchesters are getting hard to find. A 22 rifle, in my feeble mind, is a pump. (Like the pump BB guns.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 AP View Post
Another 10/22 owner here too, but I know what you mean about a cool nostalgic style rifle. For me it's this one. My Rossi Model 62 pump action takedown .22lr. It's a copy of Winchester's Model 62.

Wildrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:14 AM   #9
eeeticket

My dad has a Winchester 1890 in 22 short.
Guy he got it from said it was a gallery gun. Its well worn but still pretty accurate.
The problem is the chamber is worn out so when shot, the case bulges and it fails to extract.
Id like to get the barrel sleeved or replaced, but you know how it goes.
Another project on the list.
eeeticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:57 AM   #10
Koyote
Koyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTiger85 View Post
By nostalgic I mean symbolic of the old West with the octagon barrel and lever action old school.I know what you mean about shooting lot's of rounds in a 10/22.A couple of days back I went shooting my 10/22 stainless breakdown and went through 500 rounds of the federal blue box.I had 4 mags with me and I couldn't believe I shot so much ammo.Hey!What makes you think I'm so old?Ha!Ha!
P.S.Yes, Ruger makes good stuff I have many of them,flawless and accurate.Like you say!
After I got my .30-.30 Henry with an Octagon Barrel, I inquired about an Octagon Barrel in .22 Mag. Alas, the material for the barrel is not conducive to an Octagon. Eventually, I am thinking of getting one anyways, then switching out the barrel with a new one from 3rd party. I just think the Octagon has the really cool factor, but in addition in regards to my .30-.30, after firing it, the heavier barrel comes back down on target quite quickly, though I have nothing to compare to. It works for me!
Koyote is offline   Reply With Quote