Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Lrbn
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tip up barrel autos

Some help please-
My wife is interested in getting her own handgun but she has limited strength in her hands. She cannot rack an auto to load it and cannot pull the trigger in most revolvers. She tried a Ruger LCR .22 and couldn't do it.
She has found the Beretta 21A Bobcat with a tip up barrel for loading and thinks that this might work for her. I have no experience or knowledge of this type of auto and am concerned that the trigger pull might be too heavy. I don't want to buy one only to find the same problem with the trigger.
Does anybody have any experience with the tip up type of autos? I would appreciate any feedback you would share. Does anyone know a dealer in Vegas that would have one in stock?
My thanks in advance,
LRBN
Lrbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Issue with that one might be being able to activate the latch to release the barrel.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

My mom has a 21A, and has no trouble shooting it but she can shoot a revolver too. Personally I think the DA trigger pull is similar to a revolver. Most of these tip-up guns can be carried cocked and locked too... the 21A, 3032, 86, and 950 BS all allow the safety to be on with a round chambered. Only the 86 has an ambidextrous safety however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullwing View Post
Issue with that one might be being able to activate the latch to release the barrel.
The barrel is easily released with the latch. If you can open the cylinder on a revolver, you can open the latch.
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

could also try something like this

Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Tip up barrel autos

No experience with the Beretta you speak of short of what I've seen in pictures. But I'd like to suggest a Walther P22 if you can find one for her to fondle. My friend has one and the slide and trigger are so easy/soft it sort of reminds me of a toy. Yet it has been an extremely reliable shooter for us with all sorts of ammo.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
Steve_LV
uber Member

My wife has a Beretta Tomcat in 32 ACP. The tip up feature does work so you never have to rack the slide. You can always cock the hammer with your thumb and then shoot the first round single action. All subsequent rounds will be single action also. The single action trigger pull is much easier and a shorter pull than the double action pull.
Steve_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
StarFire
uber Member

Not .22 for defense. Not that they aren't enough to stop a threat. It is because the ammo has too many misfires for my liking.

I agree with the various cocking assists - or you can take nearly any gun to a QUALITY welder and have something tig welded onto the slide, then have it cerakoted or rebrushed if stainless.

Also red dots are the cats meow for cocking. Like having a charging handle always ready. Just grab it and yank!
StarFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Teresa
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullwing View Post
could also try something like this

I agree with Gullwing, u can also get a lighter recoil spring weight to make racking the slide easier. Glockstore has a video on YouTube on how to help women who have issues racking a slide.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFire View Post
Not .22 for defense. Not that they aren't enough to stop a threat. It is because the ammo has too many misfires for my liking.
21A is available in .25 AUTO also. Get an extra round that way too.
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
HBoswell
uber n00b

I have both the 21a 22lr and the 3032 Tomcat 32acp and both have 11 lb. double action trigger pulls and 5lb single action. Neither is what I would call a target pistol but they work perfectly for close up (<10 yards) shooting. Recoil on the Tomcat is more than the 21a but less than a 380acp and reliability is 100% with the 32. The tip-up barrel is almost required on these because the slide serrations are small and the recoil springs are very strong making it nearly impossible to rack the slide without a pair of pliers. One trick I did learn is that if you cock the hammer back first, you can rack the slide with half the effort. Another nice feature is the half-cock hammer which locks it back from the firing pin, making it safe to carry with the safety off. This also makes it easier to fully cock the hammer and make your first shot single action. It also reduces the double action pull to around 9lbs(measured with my Lyman scale). The size difference is negligible with the Tomcat being slightly wider and the weight almost the same. I would trust either as a carry piece as long as the 21a was loaded with stingers. I've shot those without failures of any kind and they do rapid fire minute of pie plate at 10yds. I would highly recommend you let her test one out first if you can find one for rent at a local range. That may be hard to do, maybe harder than it will be to find one to buy. Good Luck.
HBoswell is offline   Reply With Quote