Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Notices

Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms The place to discuss all gun rights issues, pro-gun/anti-gun legislation and general Second Amendment topics. All other topics will be locked.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default NEW BILLS IN NV LEGISLATURE: OFFICIAL 2017 BDR list sticky

I'd like to make one post for discussion and tracking of all Bill Draft Resolutions (BDR's) for the 2017 Nevada legislature session related to firearms. I'll list all the BDR's I find here in the first post, so expect constant updates as the actual text of BDR's continues to be released in the next week or so. Feel free to discuss bills here, and we can always create side threads if people want to specifically focus on a measure in particular (I just wanted to try and run a main list in one place).

Share you opinion on bills here: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/79th2017/A/
You'll need to search for the SB or AB number you wish to leave an opinion on, and you'll need to input your address so the website can route your opinion to your representative. There are mixed emotions on whether or not this is effective, but we are a forum representing thousands of active users. We should ALL be voicing opinions for good and against bad bills.

BDR's found searching "firearm", "weapon" or "concealed":

-SB102- Authorizes the possession of a handgun in a vehicle that is on the property of certain educational entities or child care facilities in certain circumstances. (BDR*15-79) Proposed by Senator Settlemeyer.

Appears to be a "leave it in your car" permission for those with a CCW who find themselves needing to enter a school or daycare parking lot with their pistol. Not a campus carry solution, but could be a baby step towards full campus carry at a later session.

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=SB102

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-AB87- Revises provisions relating to permits to carry concealed firearms issued by certain other states. (BDR*15-96) Proposed by Assemblywoman Titus.

Bill replaces the 60 day requirement that someone moving into Nevada with an out-of-state permit must then get a Nevada CCW, allowing that person to carry on their former state's permit until it actually expires (so long that the state is recognized by Nevada to begin with).

Link to text of bill and status:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...?BillName=AB87

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB307 Revises provisions governing concealed firearms. Proposed by Senator Gustavson. (BDR 15-198)

Removes the law prohibiting carrying concealed weapons, and repeals the laws governing the requirement to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Another bill to effectively turn Nevada into a constitutional carry state.

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=SB307

-AB118-- Revises provisions governing the issuance of permits to carry concealed firearms. (BDR 15-204). Proposed by Assemblywoman Dickman.

Bill allows for current military/nat'l guard and honorably discharged persons between the age of 18 and 21 to apply for a Nevada CCW permit.

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=AB118

SB124- Revises provisions concerning the ownership, possession and control of firearms by certain persons. (BDR 3-307). Proposed by Senator Spearman, has 3 additional co-sponsors and 5 endorsing signers...

Amends domestic violence laws, requiring someone who is under extended protection order to transfer or sell all of their firearms out of their possession, appears to create a felony for non-compliance. Adds persons under protection order to the list of prohibited persons, also adds those convicted of domestic battery or stalking to the prohibited persons list, and makes the crimes a cat B felony (if they aren't already, I'm not sure on that).

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=SB124

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-15-572- Revises provisions governing permits to carry concealed firearms. Proposed by Assemblyman Daly.

No text or AB number yet available.

AB253 Authorizes the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History to share mental health adjudications with local law enforcement agencies for purposes of identifying persons prohibited from possessing firearms. Proposed by Assembly Committee on Judiciary (BDR 14-688)

Appears to amend existing law regarding people who are ordered involuntarily to be committed to a facility for mental issues. Requires record of such court order to be sent to all law enforcement agencies involved in that court's jurisdiction (instead of just providing record to the NV central repository where records get ran). Requires the doctor and other professional presenting the evidence someone needs to be committed to do so at the time of trial instead of allowing 48 hours afterward.

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=AB253

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AB171- Revises provisions governing carrying certain concealed weapons. Removes the prohibition against carrying certain concealed weapons (BDR 458) Proposed by Assemblyman Marchant (Originally requested by Assemblyman Moore).

Appears to be a constitutional carry bill. It removes the language in NRS 202.350 that prohibits carrying "Pistol, revolver or other firearm, other dangerous or deadly weapon or pneumatic gun".

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=AB171

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB115 Revises provisions concerning the prohibition against carrying or possessing certain weapons while on certain property. (BDR 15-279). Proposed by Senator Denis.

This is a bill to amend NRS 202.265, adding "public libraries" to the list of schools, universities and daycare facilities where all weapons, concealed or openly carried, are prohibited.

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=SB115

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB254 Removes provision that provides immunity from civil liability in actions involving use of force under certain circumstances. (BDR*3-683)

Thanks to some very detail oriented members for spotting this bill, the original description in the BDR list was "Revises provisions relating to civil actions" so it didn't come up in all my searching for gun related bills. This bill will remove civil protections given to a person who uses a firearm for lawful self-defense, basically allowing the a criminal (or family) to sue someone for defending themselves from the criminal act. As with all the bad bills, write your rep and leave comments on the bill so the legislature, and more importantly the governor later, know our stances on them.

Link to text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...ory.cfm?ID=587

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB351: Revises provisions relating to public safety. (BDR 15-946)

Another bill that was hidden under "public safety", but this one is actually pro-gun. Removes the state prohibition against medical MJ card holders from possessing a firearm or a concealed firearm permit.

Link to the text of bill and status: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...BillName=SB351

DO YOUR PART to stop the democrat majority from passing laws against our natural right to keep and bear arms, don't make excuses.

Last edited by jfrey123; 03-21-2017 at 08:55 PM.
jfrey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

I can't yet begin to really speculate about the bills that don't yet have text available, but the one from Daly concerns me already. He's a liberal up here in Reno who "doesn't disagree with the right to keep and bear arms," but has personally responded to questions from me in the past with lots of "common sense" legislation ideas he wants to impose. The fact he's tackling concealed weapons specifically versus the normal AWB or mag limits concerns me more than if he had gone for those normal type points...

DO YOUR PART to stop the democrat majority from passing laws against our natural right to keep and bear arms, don't make excuses.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
teammazza
shooter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Nothing good is coming out of this legislature regarding gun rights. Our only hope is the Governor veto's the anti gun bills and his veto's hold. We thought we got screwed last session, we haven't seen nothing yet.
teammazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
varminter22
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

All BDRs will soon become real BILLS.

Suggestion:

Perhaps best to create a forum sub-category so each bill will be its own topic? That way, bills won't get lost in the RKBA forum; bills would be all in one forum category and easy to find. Whatcha think?

I already posted SB-102 and AB-87. But as bills become plentiful, they may get rather lost down in the many other topics.
varminter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #5
gotur6
NRA-ILA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Thank you!

This is a great idea, and a lot of work. Thank you for taking on such a huge task. It is valuable and appreciated.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #6
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Default OFFICIAL 2017 BDR list sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
All BDRs will soon become real BILLS.

Suggestion:

Perhaps best to create a forum sub-category so each bill will be its own topic? That way, bills won't get lost in the RKBA forum; bills would be all in one forum category and easy to find. Whatcha think?

I already posted SB-102 and AB-87. But as bills become plentiful, they may get rather lost down in the many other topics.

I too am afraid too many separate threads would get lost in the noise. I wanted to start off with all the bills in one thread where I can update the top post as needed, try and make it easier on folks to get involved this year. I'm not opposed to anyone wanting to start spin-offs.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #7
Sheepdog
Shoot one, word spreads

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Disregard
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Bump. No new bill texts posted as of today that I can find. I did update the top post with a link where members can share their opinion of the bills being put forth. Please take the time to do so.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Update today: BDR 15-204 has become AB118, proposed by Assemblyman Skip Daly to allow persons between 18 and 21 who are active military/national guard or honorably discharged from service to apply for a CCW permit. A bit surprised it's coming from him, but goes towards his own historic claims that he's "moderate" on the 2nd Amendment. Don't be fooled, he'll vote for an AWB or mag ban in a heart beat, but this bill looks like another good baby step forward for the cause in general.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 AM   #10
Cirdan
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

For those of you who don't know, session info and bill texts can be found at https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/79th2017/
Windham SRC, H&R Pardner Pump
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote