Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Reloading

Notices

Reloading Discussions on reloading systems, components, tips, tricks, techniques and more.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
MCD
Banned
I've been Banned!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default first post

I reload for a 12g shotgun, 38sp, and, 9mm. recently I bought my 1st AR15 platform. an M&P sport 2. the barrel is a 1 in 9. I would like to load NATO rounds. I've decided on 1 of 2 powders - Varget and/or H335. I'm having trouble deciding on weight of the bullet. 55gr or, 62gr. I'm leaning on 62 because that is the NATO weight (as i understand it)... any thoughts on my dilemma is appreciated.
MCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
MCD
Banned
I've been Banned!

nvm - answered. thx
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Warboar
uber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For general purpose loading out of the two powders you listed I would say H335. Varget is a great powder as well but I use it more for target loads and heavier bullets.
Warboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

I like Varget too but hard to get these days. Seems to come out and disappear quick. Don't know about the other powder.
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 AM   #5
MCD
Banned
I've been Banned!

thx.
Has anyone tried CFE223 (Copper Fouling Eraser)?. I saw it listed at Extreme reloading and, at powder valley.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
icode
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Another vote for H335 - FWIW
Democracy will continue until voters discover that they can vote generous gifts from the public treasury. [Then] the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits .... then every democracy will finally collapse, which is always followed by a dictatorship. - A. Tytler

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - J. Adams

If abortions were performed with guns Liberals would be pro-life.
icode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
jmano
uber Member

I use Varget, mostly because I have a ton of it. I personally like to reload 77gr, those things hit hard but with the 1:9 of the S&W it's pretty iffy.

I guess the main question is what you're loading it for? Target shooting, stockpiling etc.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Warboar
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD View Post
thx.
Has anyone tried CFE223 (Copper Fouling Eraser)?. I saw it listed at Extreme reloading and, at powder valley.
I really like CFE-223. It meters like a dream in my Dillon and gives great velocities in the cartridges I have loaded it with. You need to stick to 55gr and heavier for .223 from what I have read.
I have used it in .308 as well and it is very accurate.
Warboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
MCD
Banned
I've been Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
I guess the main question is what you're loading it for? Target shooting, stockpiling etc.
Target and, range practice. for now. So probably the more inexpensive option may serve better.

Thx Warboar. I've been doing some reading. it seems to compare well with H335 with the added copper cleaning (however well that works ill have to see for myself I guess) for a similar price. maybe easier to get considering the popularity of Varget and, H335.

It seems overwhelmingly people favor Varget. not just here other forums as well. @extreme reloading it's similarly priced as all his other powders (however none are in stock). more expensive at PV.

the load information in my Lyman book shows only a .7grs difference between the 2 (Varget and, H335) with similar velocities between min/max. the CFE223 does use less per load (perhaps because it's a bit slower burn).

thx for the opinions and, input.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
noylj
uber n00b

The only way to find out what bullet weight/style YOUR rifle likes is to try that weight. I've seen 1:7 barrels that did best with 40 grain and 1:12 that did best with 155gn. We can arm-wave "twist rate vs bullet weight" all day, but all you can do is describe what MOST barrels like.
Powder selection is usually a matter of what you can find that is in your manual and, again usually, is one of the ones that produces the highest velocity with your bullet weight.
I like H335 and BL-C(2), but I don't have your rifle.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote