Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Gunsmithing & Gun Care

Notices

Gunsmithing & Gun Care The place to talk gunsmithing, gun care and maintenance. Share your tricks, tips, and info. Feel free to share or ask for help.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Savage 270 Barrel drilled&tapped for Iron Sight

I am asking for any thoughts and comments on my latest project,a Savage 111 chambered in 270.I got this rifle in a trade,and I feel like I did well,since the rifle looks to be new and unfired,since it still has the tags and stickers on it,and it is a left hand model,which is very important to me,being born a Southpaw.One thing different about this rifle is that it came with iron sights,like the old school rifles.The front sight appears to be glued on the barrel,and the rear sight was attached with a screw that is fixed to a hole drilled and tapped into the barrel.20170311_191444.jpg
This seems to be, to me,an odd arrangement,since the receiver is already drilled and tapped for scope bases.More important,since I am mounting a new scope on the rifle,the rear sight interferes with the objective bell of the scope,so off it goes.Whoever drilled and tapped the barrel,thoughtfully,put set screws into the holes in the holes in the receiver meant for the scope bases.I pulled these set screws out and installed one in the hole for the iron sight.I cleaned the set screw with alcohol and used blue LokTite and snugged it in just a bit more than finger tight.
Maxcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #2
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

Now,the top of the barrel shows where the hole was drilled and tapped,since the bluing was marred.I guess I will try some Cold Blue on it to touch it up.20170311_173748.jpg

20170311_180809.jpg
I did a trial assembly with the scope and rings tonight and everything looks like it will work great,now that the rear sight is gone.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

I will document this project and give updates,since I am starting out with a brand new rifle and scope,and trying to apply what I have learned thru the yrs,about mounting scopes.20170311_173025.jpg

20170311_172934.jpg
Old 03-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

A fellow left-hander here.

That rear sight looks like it's made of plastic.

Check the depth of the screw hole to make sure it wasn't drilled so deeply that it compromised the barrel,

If it was, replace the barrel.

What exactly does your project entail?

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

Hail Fellow Southpaw!As far as the integrity of the barrel,I think it is OK,the hole looks like it was drilled at the factory,or by a gunsmith.If there is an issue with the barrel,I won`t hesitate to replace it.I wasn`t really looking for a 270,what I had in mind was a platform to re-barrel in 280AI.This will work well for that purpose if I decide that 270 caliber,or this barrel doesn't work out.If this rifle shoots well,I will probably stick with 270 caliber for a while.It will make an ideal rifle for hunting deer and Antelope.For anything bigger like elk,I can use my 30 06 or 300 Win rifles.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

The .270 Win. is a fine round for deer and speed goats, as is the .25-06 (should you decide to re-barrel)..

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
jmano

Great find!

I have a Savage Hog Hunter, which has iron sights on it, and the placement of the sights look exactly the same. If you are using a scope of any size it does mess with the placement. I removed the sights as well and while they both had glue, they were also both tapped and screwed. Just remove the front sight's screws and pop the sight with wood and a hammer and it should come off.

I got the Hog Hunter for the medium contour threaded barrel, not for the sights. So it was easy to make the decision to remove them also.

If you look at this auction from 2012 it's the exact same gun with what looks like the exact same sights, so I'm assuming it was a factory configuration and not a gunsmith special set of sights. It appears from my minor amount of Google-Fu that particular configuration was only available in left hand, so I would guess that's why we really hadn't seen this rifle before.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11264909

https://www.gunsamerica.com/97644868...270-Win-NE.htm

I would guess that Savage correctly assumed that if someone were so backwards to be left handed that they probably couldn't figure out a scope

Last edited by jmano; 03-13-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added information...and a burn against lefties
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

jmano;thanks for sharing.I guess what I was really searching for is confirmation that this was a factory mod,since I have not ever seen a modern Savage with iron sights.I have never checked out the Hog Hunter since there are no hogs here in Nv.I looked at the front sight and can`t see any screws.Maybe if I knocked the sight post out from the base,I would find a screw there.I am not going to worry about it now.I have all the parts for mounting the scope now. I did take a little detour and got a trigger pull gauge and adjusted the pull weight on the trigger down from 3 3/8lb to 2 7/8lb.It was good before but now works great.
Now to finish mounting the scope and bore sight it.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 AM   #9
jmano

Oh yeah I should have mentioned. On mine I had to drift out the front sight to expose the screw holding the sight base to the barrel. If the front sight on yours will drift out with a punch then I'd guess the screw is under that.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote