User Tag List

Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #1771
numba1stunna
Live.Laugh.Love.<3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus7aphas3 View Post
It seems to take longer than it should to run a background check but idk maybe it does take 120 days for the Feds to get all that info or something.
takes other states 1-2 weeks.

It's not the feds. It's the state you and I live in.

Pretty plain and simple, thanks Nevada, wait your 115-120 days and deal with it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #1772
CowboyKen
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1stunna View Post
takes other states 1-2 weeks.

It's not the feds. It's the state you and I live in.

Pretty plain and simple, thanks Nevada, wait your 115-120 days and deal with it.
No, IMO, it is not the state. It is the county, more specifically the Sheriff. I believe he has them delay issuance of permits until the 120 day legal limit is virtually expired. Just my opinion.

Ken
CowboyKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #1773
numba1stunna
Live.Laugh.Love.<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
No, IMO, it is not the state. It is the county, more specifically the Sheriff. I believe he has them delay issuance of permits until the 120 day legal limit is virtually expired. Just my opinion.

Ken

Fair enough, how long does it take in Washoe County? The states two most populous counties.im sure the population of Washoe alone trumps all other counties.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #1774
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Fair enough, how long does it take in Washoe County? The states two most populous counties.im sure the population of Washoe alone trumps all other counties.
They claim 180 days, but mine came in around 90 days. So expect a 3 month wait in Reno or perhaps anywhere in Washoe County.

I have heard that Carson City is VERY fast, just to the south of Reno. But that's a different county.

Clark County is the longest wait of all NV Counties. Seems bigger the population of people in the county, the longer it takes.

-Don- Auburn, CA
DonTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #1775
numba1stunna
Live.Laugh.Love.<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
They claim 180 days, but mine came in around 90 days. So expect a 3 month wait in Reno or perhaps anywhere in Washoe County.

I have heard that Carson City is VERY fast, just to the south of Reno. But that's a different county.

Clark County is the longest wait of all NV Counties. Seems bigger the population of people in the county, the longer it takes.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Wrong.

They claim 120 days, not 180.

90 days though, alright, that's quick compared to a county with what, 4x the residence?

What's it look like in the small counties?

How about other states where it's 1-2 weeks no matter the populis?

What about when you purchase a firearm e/o a Cece and they verify your 4473 with the ncis? Takes a few minutes?

It's the state. Which is blue, despite what you believe.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #1776
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

There's a lot more to the background check involved with our CCW's than what gets checked on a 4473. I don't know the specifics, but there was one time we lost our FFL exemption because our checks didn't comply with the ATF requirements for said exemption.

Each sheriff's department also has to deal with all the issues related to revocation of the permits using their CCW division. They have to have people checking at some frequency for when a permit holder gets arrested for DUI, or has something else happen that requires them to revoke the permit. Those checks might get done daily, weekly, I have no clue. They have to do that sort of maintenance on top of processing rolling renewals and new permits.

I've seen Washoe County fluctuate between 60 and the full 120 days via a thread on my local 4x4 forum. We currently have a very pro-gun sheriff in charge and still have 100+ days on the wait list, something I'm personally convinced he would like to see reduced, but not at the sacrifice of them doing their jobs properly. I'm not going to say counties like Klark don't suffer from obstructionists in their offices, but I'm more inclined to think the process itself vs level of staff drives the delays more than anything.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #1777
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Wrong.

They claim 120 days, not 180.

90 days though, alright, that's quick compared to a county with what, 4x the residence?

What's it look like in the small counties?

How about other states where it's 1-2 weeks no matter the populis?

What about when you purchase a firearm e/o a Cece and they verify your 4473 with the ncis? Takes a few minutes?It's the state. Which is blue, despite what you believe.
They told me 180 days (half year), but I think that can change at any time. It's probably not always the same.

But if they say 120 days, I wonder if that really means 60 days. Perhaps they double the time they really expect when they tell us in Washoe County.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #1778
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
They told me 180 days (half year), but I think that can change at any time. It's probably not always the same.

But if they say 120 days, I wonder if that really means 60 days. Perhaps they double the time they really expect when they tell us in Washoe County.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Then they told you wrong. A sheriff CANNOT change the 120 day requirement. They are required by state law to issue a permit or deny the application within 120 days. If someone told you 180 days, they were wrong, hence why we refer to statute instead of believing everything said by an officer.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-2...l#NRS202Sec366

"3.  Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application"
Old 03-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #1779
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Then they told you wrong. A sheriff CANNOT change the 120 day requirement. They are required by state law to issue a permit or deny the application within 120 days. If someone told you 180 days, they were wrong, hence why we refer to statute instead of believing everything said by an officer.
Yes, I know the State of NV says 120 days, but perhaps I was told wrong, like you say. But there was no issue since I received mine in 90 days anyway.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Old 03-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #1780
PondScum
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Clark County must be getting faster. I submitted my application on 12/1/2016 and mine was issued 3/8/2017. Envelope was postmarked 3/9/2017. That's around 98 days.
PondScum is offline   Reply With Quote