Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Weapons Discussions > Firearm Accessories & Gear

Notices

Firearm Accessories & Gear A place to discuss accessories such as flashlights, holsters, belts, mag pouches, range bags, pepper spray, "tacticool" gear, and more.

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
billwright

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

A couple things guys about using cat litter for Silica Gel in safes:

1) Silica Gel used in Cat Litter is not the same as Silica Gel used in Dehumidifiers. Yes the name is the same, but the product is not. It's a very cheap form of Silica Gel that isn't very absorbent (enough to absorb liquid when poured on it, but not to control humidity in a enclosure like closet or safe) and has impurties.

2) Most use BLUE Silica Gel beads which contains Cobalt Chloride, more info on that found here: http://cobaltchloride.net/

While it's better then using nothing I suppose, it doesn't have the same effect of a product that was developed for the intended purpose of drying safes, gun cases, safes, etc.

Just thought I'd pitch in my knowledge on these Silica Gel Cat Litters, thanks again!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwright View Post
A couple things guys about using cat litter for Silica Gel in safes:

1) Silica Gel used in Cat Litter is not the same as Silica Gel used in Dehumidifiers. Yes the name is the same, but the product is not. It's a very cheap form of Silica Gel that isn't very absorbent (enough to absorb liquid when poured on it, but not to control humidity in a enclosure like closet or safe) and has impurties.

2) Most use BLUE Silica Gel beads which contains Cobalt Chloride, more info on that found here: http://cobaltchloride.net/

While it's better then using nothing I suppose, it doesn't have the same effect of a product that was developed for the intended purpose of drying safes, gun cases, safes, etc.

Just thought I'd pitch in my knowledge on these Silica Gel Cat Litters, thanks again!
Good info, thanks.

The MSDS for the Pet Pride and Fresh Step both say only that the main ingredient is hydrated silica (Silica Gel).

Guess its like MSG, has 147 names that the FDA allows the product manufacturer to choose from for their label.

The Pet Pride crystals are about 99% milky white as purchased, with a very few deep blue crystals scattered throughout.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
billwright

Yea, I can understand the confusion. Silica Gel has different "types", Type A, Type B, and Type C. The Silica Gel in your cat litter and most others don't even fall under any of these Types. It's the "left overs" or ones they can't sell due to it's impurities. It's perfect for cat litter, not so perfect for keeping your tools, cars, RV's, Boats, Safes, etc. dry.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Joe LeFors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
You lose some in the process, but an 8 pound bag, currently about 8 bucks at Smiths or $6 at Wally World, lasts for nearly ever. I'm still working on a bag I brought with me from CA when I retired 7 years ago.
Steve good thread on Cheap Gun Safe Dehumidifier.
Having read the postings, if you haven't seen any type of rusting in 7 years using what you have been using Silica Gel kitty litter...would you still switch?
I feel living in the desert with less than 10% humidly, your kitty litter probably takes care of what moisture is left in the safe.
Rust free weapons are proof of that
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe LeFors View Post
Steve good thread on Cheap Gun Safe Dehumidifier.
Having read the postings, if you haven't seen any type of rusting in 7 years using what you have been using Silica Gel kitty litter...would you still switch?
I feel living in the desert with less than 10% humidly, your kitty litter probably takes care of what moisture is left in the safe.
Rust free weapons are proof of that
Hi Joe.

Well, it kept them rust free in CA also, where the humidity (Santa Cruz Mountains area) was a good bit higher than here.

BUT, in all honesty, I also used the Camphor Oil /WD-40 and Bull Frog VCI tricks at the same time, and my guns in the safe always wear a good coat (reapplied every 3 months) of a good quality gun oil, and a lot of them have had a good quality gun wax applied as well.

When I still worked for Uncle Sam, and knew that I would be gone for long periods of time (and had enough advance notice of the deployment) I would give them a good coating of RIG gun Grease. That is nearly as effective as Cosmoline at preventing rust during long term storage.

So it may have just been all that which kept them rust free, and does so today, because it sounds like the Cat litter is not nearly as absorbent as the silica gel crystals in the "made for that purpose" gun safe dehumidifiers.

I probably won't switch immediately, just because the combination of all the above is working for me, at my location, at this time.

However, now having a bit of increased knowledge on the silica gel thanks to Billwright, and after doing some further research into it on my own in the near future to see if there is another source for it (the correct type silica gel) at a lower price (I am still a cheap SOB after all!), I will probably switch to the correct type, and probably will do so when that bag of Pet Pride runs out, which should be in a year or so. Maybe before if I tumble to a good buy on the right stuff.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
tdyoung58
NNLP 31st Batt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcapurro View Post
I didn't realize we actually needed to use dehumidifiers in our safes in Vegas... We're dry as a bone here, so I just assumed...

Yes yes, I know what they say...

Crap. Off I go to buy cat litter, stat!!!
Yeah, me too . . . not like it gets in the 90% range like it did in PA out here, Hell, anything below 35% is considered low back there.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
DVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcapurro View Post
I didn't realize we actually needed to use dehumidifiers in our safes in Vegas... We're dry as a bone here, so I just assumed...

Yes yes, I know what they say...
So, what you're saying is "But there's no de-humidity" . . ?