Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #11
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Oh timing belt, so that also gives issues, if the welding or spacer is off it can cause issues.

What tools do you have? Can you pull the engine out? Might just need to replace the crank. Might be able to find them in a junk yard. If you have an engine hoist, basic tools and a few specialty tools it "should be toooo difficult" to replace.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #12
VegasResident
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullwing View Post
Another possibility is to cut out a section squarely and insert a spacer to fill the gap.
Actually thought of trying something similar, just grinding a whole new channel in opposite side.
VegasResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
VegasResident
uber Member

I have basic hand tools and don"t even know what a couple of them are for. I have very little mechanical skill so would have to pay someone which is not an option at this time.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 AM   #14
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
Actually thought of trying something similar, just grinding a whole new channel in opposite side.
Yes but since timing belt the marks would be off an it would be difficult to get everything lined up correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
I have basic hand tools and don"t even know what a couple of them are for. I have very little mechanical skill so would have to pay someone which is not an option at this time.
What do you have to trade

Had to replace the timing chain on my sister's Treg in Jan. What a PITA! And I probably should have to pull the engine again to fix a transmission leak...VWs are a pain to work on unless you love to work on them.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #15
VegasResident
uber Member

I can set the crank timing with a screwdriver in the 1 one plug hole i never plan on getting rid of this car so as long as i know about it its good. I think the keyway was the correct timing mark for this particular instance i dont see any marks anywhere on harmonic balancer or pulley
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 AM   #16
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Setting TDC #1 is only part of timing, the pulley will always have a mark to match to something on the front cover depending on the engine the marks could be anywhere 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock 9 o'clock...
Here are a few pages that might be some help. (I just googled)
http://www.vwenthusiast.com/technica...imingbelt.html
http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...tatech/t-belt/

Any major engine issue is going to cost even if you can do the work. The slightly streached timing chain on my sister's car didn't really affect anything, but it set a code failing smog tests. Dealer would charge anywhere from $5,000 to $7,000 depending on all the parts they replaced. I was able to do it for $1000 in parts and tools and a week and a half of hell.
Golf is easier to work on than a Treg and if you can get parts at a decent price and have a place to work and maybe some bribes for people to help if needed it can be done for much less than a dealer or indy shop.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #17
VegasResident
uber Member

I"ve done a ton of research on the timing for this particular car and there are no timing marks anywhere on the balancer or pulley. The how to i use is

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...tatech/t-belt/

It shows the marks on the crank gearr but since i cant take the 3 piece part apart, they have no bearing on this application. I tried to buy just the crank gear from VW since the original had the stripped keyway and they say the 3 pieces dont come apart as shown in that how to. Hence he $558 price tag on a 50 dollar part

Just noticed 1 of your links is the one i used
Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #18
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Look for parts online, only buy from dealer as a last resort, though some do sell for a bit cheaper online if you need a unique part.
Not sure what all you need, but...
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...ft_pulley.html
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199..._sprocket.html
Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #19
VegasResident
uber Member

I won"t be able to use either of those until i figure out how to tighten up that keyway channel on the crank. Man i looked all over for one of those sprockets until VW told me I couldn't replace just it but had to get the whole part. I really appreciate all the help.