Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
Grumpyoldretiredcop

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I just picked up a used 9MM Pitbull in stainless. All kinds of machining and finish errors on the exterior, lots of endshake and rotational (when locked up) play in the cylinder. Trigger pull in single action is exceptional for a bargain revolver and double-action pull is about the same as my S&W (a 642 Airweight).

Took it to the Carson range today. At 7-10 yards, POI was about 3 inches right of POA, not terrible for a fixed sight snubnose. I had a couple of light strikes on Winchester 124 gr. NATO hardball, no failures on any other variety (Aguila 124 gr., Federal aluminum case 115 gr., Federal brass case 115 gr., Winchester 147 gr. lead free, all hardball) of ammo tried. All had similar POI/POA offset. I experienced two failures to extract with the cases slipping off the plungers in the extractor star, a second attempt extracted them. Both were the Winchester 124 NATO. No other failures to extract; a sharp rap on the end of the ejector rod dumped cases clear of the cylinder. Did not observe any shaving or "spitting" to either side so apparently the rotational play isn't enough to cause that to happen.

Recoil was brisk, it felt a little sharper than my S&W when fired with 110 gr. JHP - something I didn't expect. Recoil was mildest with the Federal 115 gr. brass case ammo.

I didn't have any trouble keeping hits in center of mass out to 10 yards, didn't try anything further than that. Sights are not bad, wide rear notch and a ramp front. The front ramp is smooth and could use serrations but wasn't too hard to see even with my grumpy old eyes.

Bottom line: Since I got this revolver used for a good price, I'm not unhappy. I wouldn't carry it or depend on it to save my life, it's a range toy. I probably wouldn't invest in the .45 if it were me unless I could fire it first. I also carried a CA Undercover back in the dark ages, I remember it as having better fit and finish that this Bulldog by a long shot... except for the bluing on the Undercover, which did not survive a single day of having to wear a suit and tie in the summer Seattle heat and carrying it in a suede IWB holster. The finish disappeared on the side towards my body leaving one side of the revolver blue, the other gray! At least that wouldn't happen with the stainless Bulldog (I hope!).

Andrew, if you want to meet up and take a look at it in person, let me know. I'd be glad to do that if you don't mind coming down to Carson.
Grumpyoldretiredcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
NevadaBob
uber Member

I bought my CA Pitbull 9mm a few months back. Bought it from Bizarre. They also had the Taurus 905 so I was able to do a side by side comparison. I liked the 905 but could not warm up to the moon clips.

Here's the kicker: have not taken it out shooting yet! Been waiting for a decent rainfall before I go out in the outback. Things are still a bit too dry.

Seems like a real nice pistol. Quality-fit-finish meet with my approval. After I brought it home I had a few questions so I emailed the home office/factory back east. About an hour after I sent the email, and I had left the house to run an errand, my wife takes a phone call from the company president. He had seen my email and took it upon himself to connect with his customer! I was impressed!

Hopefully our storm coming in later this week will wet things down sufficiently to do some shooting. And Andrew you're welcome to come out with me and pop off a few rounds to see how you like it.
NevadaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I just picked up a used 9MM Pitbull in stainless. All kinds of machining and finish errors on the exterior, lots of endshake and rotational (when locked up) play in the cylinder. Trigger pull in single action is exceptional for a bargain revolver and double-action pull is about the same as my S&W (a 642 Airweight).

Took it to the Carson range today. At 7-10 yards, POI was about 3 inches right of POA, not terrible for a fixed sight snubnose. I had a couple of light strikes on Winchester 124 gr. NATO hardball, no failures on any other variety (Aguila 124 gr., Federal aluminum case 115 gr., Federal brass case 115 gr., Winchester 147 gr. lead free, all hardball) of ammo tried. All had similar POI/POA offset. I experienced two failures to extract with the cases slipping off the plungers in the extractor star, a second attempt extracted them. Both were the Winchester 124 NATO. No other failures to extract; a sharp rap on the end of the ejector rod dumped cases clear of the cylinder. Did not observe any shaving or "spitting" to either side so apparently the rotational play isn't enough to cause that to happen.

Recoil was brisk, it felt a little sharper than my S&W when fired with 110 gr. JHP - something I didn't expect. Recoil was mildest with the Federal 115 gr. brass case ammo.

I didn't have any trouble keeping hits in center of mass out to 10 yards, didn't try anything further than that. Sights are not bad, wide rear notch and a ramp front. The front ramp is smooth and could use serrations but wasn't too hard to see even with my grumpy old eyes.

Bottom line: Since I got this revolver used for a good price, I'm not unhappy. I wouldn't carry it or depend on it to save my life, it's a range toy. I probably wouldn't invest in the .45 if it were me unless I could fire it first. I also carried a CA Undercover back in the dark ages, I remember it as having better fit and finish that this Bulldog by a long shot... except for the bluing on the Undercover, which did not survive a single day of having to wear a suit and tie in the summer Seattle heat and carrying it in a suede IWB holster. The finish disappeared on the side towards my body leaving one side of the revolver blue, the other gray! At least that wouldn't happen with the stainless Bulldog (I hope!).

Andrew, if you want to meet up and take a look at it in person, let me know. I'd be glad to do that if you don't mind coming down to Carson.
Very helpful and very informative post! Thank you! I'll let you know if I make it down that way.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #14
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaBob View Post
I bought my CA Pitbull 9mm a few months back. Bought it from Bizarre. They also had the Taurus 905 so I was able to do a side by side comparison. I liked the 905 but could not warm up to the moon clips.

Here's the kicker: have not taken it out shooting yet! Been waiting for a decent rainfall before I go out in the outback. Things are still a bit too dry.

Seems like a real nice pistol. Quality-fit-finish meet with my approval. After I brought it home I had a few questions so I emailed the home office/factory back east. About an hour after I sent the email, and I had left the house to run an errand, my wife takes a phone call from the company president. He had seen my email and took it upon himself to connect with his customer! I was impressed!

Hopefully our storm coming in later this week will wet things down sufficiently to do some shooting. And Andrew you're welcome to come out with me and pop off a few rounds to see how you like it.
Good to know! Let me know what you think. Did Bizarre have anything else Charter Arms in stock? I havent been in there in like 2 years.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #15
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Also, my buddy has a .38spl "Tiger" tiger striped snub nose that he won in a raffle a few years back, and its still brand new in box. I asked him to bring it over when we had dinner the other night. I got hands on experience with the fit and finish.

Definitely not a Smith and wesson, but they also cost like $100 less than a comparable j-frame. I saw nothing wrong with it, trigger wasnt bad though i could feel a little roughness in it, surely it would smooth out given time or a little help.

I saw nothing that scared me away from charter arms as a whole, I even told him if he wants to get rid of it for a good price i'd take him up.

We'll see if that happens, and or if i can get my hands on a Pitbull.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #16
NevadaBob
uber Member

Yes they had other CA calibers but I tuned everything else out when I saw the Pitbull.
NevadaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 AM   #17
Warboar
uber Member

My first experience with Charter Arms was a coworker had a late 70s or early 80s bulldog. It was really nice and shot even better. About 10 years ago a friend bought one and it was nowhere as nice as the other one that i had shot. i have seen a few nice ones at gun shows and other times I have seen real turds.

The one that catches my eye is the left handed Undercover model. They are the only one who makes a left handed revolver to the best of my knowledge.
I wish S&W would make them but they have no interest, or so I was told at the SHOT SHOW a few years in a row.
Warboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

As a left handed person who is a revolver enthusiast, I see no advantage to a left handed revolver . :-(

Prolly why nobody else makes them

Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Stopped by bizarre last night and nothing of interest ://