Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armed Citizen > Self Defense

Notices

Self Defense Share stories, news, articles, questions and more here.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
MrTuna
Sig Connoisseur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Makes good sense Facejackets. I need to renew my Desert Sportsman membership so I can practice drawing and moving and shooting.
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."

"The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."

Quotes by: Jeff Cooper
MrTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Maxcarp
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facejackets View Post
Have you ever thought of dropping your wallet or throwing it in guys face then drawing and shooting?

Once the money comes into view, the BG is very likely to stop concentrating on you. Creating some kind of distraction (like a wallet to the face) may just give you enough time to get of the X and draw pretty quick.

It's very difficult to explain over the internet, so, sorry if that is unclear.
Massad Ayoob,in one of his books wrote about carrying as part of his EDC while in the Urban Jungle,a variation of a "Chicago Bankroll"that could be thrown to the ground if accosted by muggers.A Chicago Bankroll is a roll of $1 bills with a $50 or 100 bill on the outside wrapped in a rubber band.A $5 or $10 bill will work just as well if stacked properly so it cant be made out easily.I believe Ayoobs version had a few business cards in the middle with a few $1 bills wrapped around.I made up my own version that had some phony credit cards,sent to me as promotions from dodgy CC companies,with a $1 bill wrapped with a rubber band.I have never had to use this "flash roll"and I don't really know where it is right now.
Maxcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
reno911
Meh...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I would hope my set up passes as a wallet enough to get a few rounds off with the perp not knowing.

reno911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
MrTuna
Sig Connoisseur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno911 View Post
I would hope my set up passes as a wallet enough to get a few rounds off with the perp not knowing.

Now that's cool!
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."

"The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."

Quotes by: Jeff Cooper
MrTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
MAC702
Schadenfreudist

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I thought if a wallet holster was designed to be shot without drawing the weapon from the holster, that it was classified as an NFA AOW.

EDIT: Yep: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...wallet-holster

2nd EDIT (after next post): The one pictured above is an exception by design.
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
reno911
Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
I thought if a wallet holster was designed to be shot without drawing the weapon from the holster, that it was classified as an NFA AOW.

EDIT: Yep: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...wallet-holster
There is a lot of ifs and such with that topic and these. They have been cleared by the ATF, except in CA. Mostly because most of the slide is shown through, it is not considered part of the AOW rulings. As it is still clearly a firearm.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...tyle%20110.pdf
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
MAC702
Schadenfreudist

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

THANK YOU!

Looks like because it exposes the entire slide, the ATF has approved yours as not concealing the firearm.

But the many ones that used to be readily available that did conceal the slide or entire handgun are still classified as AOW.

Carry on!
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
reno911
Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
THANK YOU!

Looks like because it exposes the entire slide, the ATF has approved yours as not concealing the firearm.

But the many ones that used to be readily available that did conceal the slide or entire handgun are still classified as AOW.

Carry on!
Other than that the biggest gripe is the exposed trigger. Honestly the trigger is pretty hard to get to when it is in this holster. However, wit a bit of practice you get the hang of firing it, and knowing where to put your fingers as you grab for it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
FightMeImIrish
Nerd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Edit: Already answered ^^^

From the ATF website Mac posted:

Wallet Holsters

Notice: All “Any Other Weapons” have a mandatory tax of $200.00 for making. Transfer of an “Any Other Weapons” is an additional $5.00.

Classification
Any Other Weapon with firearm
Distinctive Characteristics
Holster has hole to fire weapon

Rate of Transfer Tax
$5.00 with firearm; no tax without firearm

What exactly does this mean? It seems there is no transfer tax if sold without a firearm. But does it still need to be registered as Class 3?

And I have a hard time believing that the manufacturer pays $200 each to the ATF, unless those wallets are way more expensive than they look.

If it is an unregistered Class 3, does that mean it's a serious felony to have one?
FightMeImIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
reno911
Meh...

I imagine in time this holster and others like it will have the same fate. But as is, the holster, per ATF, does not hide the weapon like the images above where the weapon is 100% hidden minus the trigger, making the wallet a gun. It has enough of the pistol showing to get away with it per ATF.

Same goes for brief case guns. If you own a brief case capable of firing a gun from with in it, you must register that gun as an AOW to use the brief case device

If you were to own one of the above holsters that you posted and use your pistol in it, you would have to register the pistol, not the holster as an AOW. Which is 5 dollars and a 6 month wait. After that you can no longer carry it I believe, because most CCW laws state that you can conceal pistols, where as your pistol is now registered as a AOW. But I do not know much on that one so if someone else does please chime in.