Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

General Firearms Discussion Discuss general firearms related topics, buying experiences, weapons reviews and more.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
osiruscyn
The man who came around

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default S&W MP Shield vs. Springfield new XDs vs. Glock 26/27

Looking for comments, thoughts, suggestions, and input. Looking for a subcompact for daily carry. Daily carry right now is Glock 22 or a Beretta 21A in .25 ACP for pocket carry. Want a small semi auto. I like the grip safety of the new XDs and the fact it's in. 45 ACP and very compact. I like the thumb safety on the S&W Shield and the fact it's in 9mm as I have another handgun in 9mm and already have ammo. I like the glock because I'm used to the ergonomics and like the trigger reset. Additionally if I got the G27, I have mags that are interchangeable.
osiruscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Facejackets
Low Speed High Drag

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The XDs is SMALL. Have you ever held one? I can imagine a pocket gun chambered in .45acp is going to jump quite a bit. Its a low capacity gun as well. That being said, its a pocket gun chambered in God's caliber...how ****ing rad is that? Out of the three, this is by far the smallest and easiest to pocket carry.

The Shield is a pretty nice gun. A matter of fact, I have a customer who bought one, shot 300 rounds out of it and came back to buy another one just because he loved it so much. It has the best reset on a small single stack 9mm I have tried. It isn't a mushy reset much like your standard M&P's. It is much more "pronounced" like a Glock. I also think it is a tad to big to pocket carry unless you wear cargo shorts or slacks all the time. IWB, it'll be very easy to conceal.

The Glock 27 is a great gun. I personally do not like the .40s&w so it would be at the bottom of my list. If it were a 26, well, then it'd be at the top. The great thing about Glocks are, you will never have a shortage of parts, holsters, mags, etc for it. You can't walk into a gun store without bumping into four Glock Armorers. The downside is, they are pretty thick for pocket carry. I am not sure I would ever do it for an extended period of time.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Gunhand
Firearms Instructor

I have the 137th Glock 17 that came into this country in 1986 (verified by Glock) I have fired nearly 60,000 round through the pistols. It still today works great. I have three other Glocks, and they are great pistols.

That being said, in the last three years, I have purchased seven M&P pistols in three different calibers. ( 9mm, 40, 357 Sig). I have found them to be a better fit ergonomically, and IMO, what Glock should have evolved into. Glock has chosen to stay with their "tried and true" marketing, and they are doing well with that.

Since Saturday, I have purchased two M&P Shield pistols. The first one was Saturday, and I fired over 300 rounds of mixed fmj and jhp factory ammunition. I did not have a single malfunction with the pistol. It shoots point of aim, point of impact.

Today I purchased the second one for my girlfriend's CCW pistol. In the coming weeks, I will be purchasing a couple more for my daughters. I am so impressed by this pistol, that I am depending on it to protect my loved ones, and myself.

I have been a law enforcement firearms instructor for 31 years, and I haven't been impressed by a pistol like this, since the first time I saw my Glock 17 in 1986.

I am totally convinced this is a perfect carry pistol for self defense or law enforcement.
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Facejackets
Low Speed High Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhand View Post
I have the 137th Glock 17 that came into this country in 1986 (verified by Glock) I have fired nearly 60,000 round through the pistols. It still today works great. I have three other Glocks, and they are great pistols.

That being said, in the last three years, I have purchased seven M&P pistols in three different calibers. ( 9mm, 40, 357 Sig). I have found them to be a better fit ergonomically, and IMO, what Glock should have evolved into. Glock has chosen to stay with their "tried and true" marketing, and they are doing well with that.

Since Saturday, I have purchased two M&P Shield pistols. The first one was Saturday, and I fired over 300 rounds of mixed fmj and jhp factory ammunition. I did not have a single malfunction with the pistol. It shoots point of aim, point of impact.

Today I purchased the second one for my girlfriend's CCW pistol. In the coming weeks, I will be purchasing a couple more for my daughters. I am so impressed by this pistol, that I am depending on it to protect my loved ones, and myself.

I have been a law enforcement firearms instructor for 31 years, and I haven't been impressed by a pistol like this, since the first time I saw my Glock 17 in 1986.

I am totally convinced this is a perfect carry pistol for self defense or law enforcement.

Now you're going to wait a few more days and buy another one from underneath me aren't you? Ha! I actually priced one out and the total OTD happened to be Metro's code for "Domestic Disturbance". I figured I would take that as an omen and not buy it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
zimzim
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ive shot the Glock 36 and I would have to say my .380 pistols Ive had still kick more than the .45 did in a subcompact polymer frame. I even feel like the the Glock 27 in .40 kicks more.

Ive never owned an xD, but from shooting them I still prefer the ergonomics and trigger of the Glock. Never shot a M&P but I do like how the fit in the hand, feels like its molded in.
Going with another 9mm would be a good idea than you only need one caliber to feed your pistols. I would go with the Glock 26 from the choices on your list. Keep in mind though, the Glock 26 will be just as big as a Glock 19 if you choose to do the extended mag. Thats the only reason I went with the 19 over the 26. Seems like the M&P shield would be the smallest out of all of them to conceal though.
zimzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
aroslv
uber Member

The gun I am most excited about right now is the new XDM 45 slim. Would like to see some pictures comparing it size wise to some of the other guns in thread title.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/springfield-armory-xds/
aroslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Gunhand
Firearms Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facejackets View Post
Now you're going to wait a few more days and buy another one from underneath me aren't you? Ha! I actually priced one out and the total OTD happened to be Metro's code for "Domestic Disturbance". I figured I would take that as an omen and not buy it.

Brother, you don't have to worry, it will be early July before I will be looking for a couple of more for my daughters. So you should have plenty of time to get one on your hip!!
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
inverse_square
WittyCustomUserTitleHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facejackets View Post
FJ- i didn't think the almighty Glock Gods would allow you to own a Smith gun!?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Arourasphere
Obsessed Member

the XDs is way to heavy for a gun that size. 21.5oz unloaded is heavier than my Glock 19 (21.1oz). my guess is they needed to add all the extra weight to tame the recoil. I will be buying a Shield for summer carry.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
vegasdom
Pest Control Operator

I have a 26 gen 3 but I like the gen 4 grip better. I believe all 3 of the guns you listed are too big for comfortable pocket carry. I held a Diamondback DB9 a few weeks ago and it is barely bigger than an Ruger LCP. I want one!
Also been looking at the Beretta Nano and Kahr CM9.
vegasdom is offline   Reply With Quote