Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Commercial Sponsors > Kurt Gepke

Notices

Kurt Gepke Teamdigit Defensive Training offers a unique "interactive roundtable" method of instruction for the Nevada CFP course. This course concentrates on what to expect in your lives and the psychology of becoming an armed citizen. Perfect for semi private, small groups, and women. Course is offered in American Sign Language for deaf applicants.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
jjkord12
Gun Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
applause Awesome CCW Class

Kurt, I would like to thank you for the great CCW class last Saturday. The instruction helped clear up many questions that I had. You took the time to answer all the questions from our little group. I will recommend your CCW class to everyone. Again, thank you kind sir.
v/r,
JJK
jjkord12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
sYnOnYx
Resident .22 Addict

I still look back and use the knowledge kurt's class taught me.

Best instructor in town, Hands Down!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Kurt Gepke
digitspaw

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thanks, guys. I can only take half the credit though and I've said it numerous times and that is that it takes two to Tango for my method of training to work effectively. The more you participate, the more you're going to learn and retain. I swear, I get the cream of the crop to work with. I don't know where you guys keep comin' from, but I sure do appreciate having students with your level of intelligence.

I love what I do.

Again, thank you for the kind words!

KG
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
megawatt
Very Active Member

Yesterday I took my renewal class with Kurt and I would have to agree about his class being awesome. Thanks for the refresher on responsibilities, things to consider, things not to do, and general information.

It is always good to see you, take care Kurt.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
SiG226516
Sig Sauer Fan

I know one referral got around to taking Kurt's class and was impressed. He in fact passed the information on to others for their upcoming renewals.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
dondlhmn
Donald Dumb

I'm glad to hear that there is a decent CCW instructor around SOMEWHERE! I got my CCW several years ago here in Reno and took a class because I had to and the legal parts of the instruction, though boring as could be, were interesting and useful.

HOWEVER, when we got to the range was the scary part! The rules were explained to the entire class such as range safety....what would be considered a miss and which areas of the target, though hit, were not accurate enough to be counted toward qualification. I had to shoot 60 rounds due to qualifying with a revolver and a pistol. My 60 shots were all inside the 10 ring of my target since the distances from which we shot were ridiculously short. HOWEVER, there were folks there that couldn't hit the target, shot all over *ell, were just flat dangerous with a handgun and they still "qualified" for their CCW. For example, the woman next to me pointed her handgun right at me MANY times...scaring holy H*ELL out of me! Now THAT was not only scary, but I now realize why there are so many people against the "CCW permit". That is because there are a lot of folks around carrying handguns concealed that should not even be allowed to OWN one, much less carry it around and handle it or, GOD FORBID, actually shoot it!

Had I been the "instructor", I would have flunked about half of the class as being too dangerous with a handgun or just flat not able to hit their intended target with one. BUT......they all "passed" and got their licenses with, basically, NO further training or instruction of any kind. Silly me...I thought that the class had something to do with TRAINING people to be SAFE and COMPETENT with a handgun, but what do I know about it? I'm just not profit oriented enough, I guess....H*ll, I'm only an NRA master class handgun shooter, a guy that won national and MANY state championships with a handgun, set national records, shot about every military weapon you can think of from 9mm handguns to .50 cal machine guns to artillery and everything in between, and a 20 year Active duty retired Army officer that, in competition, shot against, hung out with and was mentored by AMU shooters (a lot of whom were REAL snipers...NOT posers!, and included past Wimbledon Cup winners, Leech Cup Winners, Olympic champions, etc.) Oh..Not to mention that I was an INFANTRY officer part of that time who shot and handled MANY, MANY types of weapons and qualified expert with every weapon I could qualify with. So, what could I possibly know about what it takes to be considered competent to carry a weapon??

I would really like to see pepole that have a CCW be required to be truly competent and safe with their weapons and the way to do that is to have REAL STANDARDS during "training" and qualification classes and NOT have those "classes" be mere jokes intended to enrichen a few "instructors".

OK...I'm down off of my soapbox now......
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Kurt Gepke
digitspaw

I don't bust chops at the range at all and I disagree that a CCW class should teach marksmanship. Congrats on all you've personally achieved!

It doesn't matter as much if you're a crack shot at a static target. Try doing it under the stress of trying to save your life.

Even the police on a nationwide average MISS ~85% of the time. It's highly related to the sympathetic nervous system and that will MAKE you default to your level of training and you will NOT rise to the occassion.

Most shootings are going to be within 3 yards, over in 3 seconds, with 3 shots fired. Everybody has a basic right to self defense and it would be unreasonable to expect all applicants/permitees to have a skill level that was even in the same league as your own.
I think I get where you're coming from when a shooter can't hit a B27 at 3 yards. I'm talking anywhere on the paper. I'm not signing off on those.

Shooting the gun accurately is an acquired skill that is the responsibility of the permitee, not me. (Unless I'm teaching an NRA Basic Pistol class). My job is to share different ways to control the force continuum, ensure that students understand under what circumstances they can use deadly force, and how to lessen their chances of self incrimination should they ever be involved in a shooting. As far as qualification goes, I don't qualify anyone who I believe can't safely exercise actual physical control of their firearm.

None of this is meant to offend you or anyone else. It's one man's opinion and that's the extent of it. I don't make the rules and you do make some valid points in your post, but let's keep things in perspective.
Again, congratulations on your lifetime achievments and I admire those who can be that dedicated to their chosen sport or hobby or profession.

I am not a lazy, lying, self centered teacher; and you're right, this town is full of them. There are some great ones also. I love teaching this class and I take it personally. There's a saying that goes "I'm responsible for what I said, not for what you understood". I believe the opposite. It IS my responsibility to ensure that you understand. We're dealing in life and death.

I'm passionate about my work and making it look fun and easy is part of
the process just as it was when I was an entertainer.

I am a professional.

KG
Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
dondlhmn
Donald Dumb

Let's get one thing CRYSTAL CLEAR.........I am not even implying that, in a quickie course, a person can be taught marksmanship, because THEY CANNOT BE and anyone that thinks so is PLAIN WRONG! Using judgement when deciding who should be and who should NOT BE awarded a graduation certificate is completely different than "Busting peoples' chops". Nor do I believe that the instructor bears any responsiblity other than ensuring that a given student is safe, has been exposed, to the point of understanding them, the legal aspects of having a CCW and to see that a person UNDERSTANDS that if they are not psychologically prepared to kill when they bring out their handgun, they SHOULD NOT CARRY! It is sad to say, but I believe that the odds of most CCW holders I personally know being killed with their own weapon is MUCH GREATER than them successfully defending themselves. Learning marksmanship takes weeks, months, years and hours and hours of practice of things like operating the weapon, breath control, sight alignment, trigger control etc. Then, once learned to the point that it is all automatic, it takes frequent practice to maintain a level of competence high enough to carry a weapon on a daily basis and to make it automatic when the threat is in your face and the adrenaline is pumping.

In order that you understand what I mean, I will flat come out and say that it is CRIMINAL to give a person a "certificate" after attending a CCW course if that person is a hazard to themselves and the entire world because they don't have any idea what kind of power they are holding in their hands, nor do they have a clue how the gun works, doesn't work, where to point the thing, etc., etc. That certificate allows them to go get a CCW. Any CCW instructor, in my mind, should NOT pass a person that is a hazard to EVERYONE and displays a lack of competence or responsibility. People with CCWs are responsible to practice, become VERY familiar with their chosen weapon and NOT BE A HAZARD to themselves and the rest of us. I am talking about having the correct attitude about becoming competent, not just being able to pass the written test 10 minutes after the instruction is over. I would bet big money that the majority of CCW holders RARELY, IF EVER go to the range and practice with their chosen weapon. Still, I am hopeful that there are exceptions to what I have just said, being the eternal optimist (maybe a dummy) that I am.....

Some of the problem is the poor instructors that don't truly understand their responsibilities, but most of the problem is that a LOT of people think that once they pass the CCW course and get a permit, they have done all that needs to be done. No more practice...EVER! That is WAAAY too common.

Hopefully you are one of the rare breed of CCW instructor that does understand all of that...and, if you in fact are, I congratulate you!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Kurt Gepke
digitspaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
Let's get one thing CRYSTAL CLEAR.........I am not even implying that, in a quickie course, a person can be taught marksmanship, because THEY CANNOT BE and anyone that thinks so is PLAIN WRONG! Using judgement when deciding who should be and who should NOT BE awarded a graduation certificate is completely different than "Busting peoples' chops". Nor do I believe that the instructor bears any responsiblity other than ensuring that a given student is safe, has been exposed, to the point of understanding them, the legal aspects of having a CCW and to see that a person UNDERSTANDS that if they are not psychologically prepared to kill when they bring out their handgun, they SHOULD NOT CARRY! It is sad to say, but I believe that the odds of most CCW holders I personally know being killed with their own weapon is MUCH GREATER than them successfully defending themselves. Learning marksmanship takes weeks, months, years and hours and hours of practice of things like operating the weapon, breath control, sight alignment, trigger control etc. Then, once learned to the point that it is all automatic, it takes frequent practice to maintain a level of competence high enough to carry a weapon on a daily basis and to make it automatic when the threat is in your face and the adrenaline is pumping.
By golly!
I'm damn glad you're around now to educate me. I didn't know any of that tripe you just vomited up.
I don't know where the hell all of your hostility is coming from but if you want to yell, call me on the phone. The all caps followed by exclaimation points reads as though you're doing just that. Having a temper tantrum. Maybe you should evaluate your stress level before leaving your home while wearing your sidearm.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you and I sincerely do not give a rat's ass what you think of me or my opinion and teaching method. I seem to be doin' okay before you joined but I guess there's a new sheriff in town so I will take a look at my course of instruction to ensure it's up to your standards.

Dude, just to show that while writing this post, my tongue is in my cheek, when it's time for you to renew, c'mon down to Vegas and I'll take care of your renewal training on the house......it wouldn't matter much anyway since I'm the only instructor in the state (that I'm aware of) who offers a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee in writing on my own website.

Good luck making new friends here and with sincerity, welcome to the board. Thanks for joining.

Now, go chill or you'll get a spankin' and be sent to your room.

KG
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
dondlhmn
Donald Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Gepke View Post
By golly!
I'm damn glad you're around now to educate me. I didn't know any of that tripe you just vomited up.
I don't know where the hell all of your hostility is coming from but if you want to yell, call me on the phone. The all caps followed by exclaimation points reads as though you're doing just that. Having a temper tantrum. Maybe you should evaluate your stress level before leaving your home while wearing your sidearm.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you and I sincerely do not give a rat's ass what you think of me or my opinion and teaching method. I seem to be doin' okay before you joined but I guess there's a new sheriff in town so I will take a look at my course of instruction to ensure it's up to your standards.

Dude, just to show that while writing this post, my tongue is in my cheek, when it's time for you to renew, c'mon down to Vegas and I'll take care of your renewal training on the house......it wouldn't matter much anyway since I'm the only instructor in the state (that I'm aware of) who offers a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee in writing on my own website.

Good luck making new friends here and with sincerity, welcome to the board. Thanks for joining.

Now, go chill or you'll get a spankin' and be sent to your room.

KG
Thanks for the offer of a free renewal, but the drive to Vegas and back costs WAAYY more than what it costs to renew a CCW and takes (round trip) about 15 hours through some of the most boring territory in the world. Nor am I interested in getting into a "pissing match" with anyone, much less "some dude" online that seems more interested in his personal "new sheriff" than in a reasonable exchange of ideas and gets all butt hurt so easily. I am not out to wound anyone, but I am NOT afraid to state my position on a given subject (nor do I feel the need to get anyone's permission to have an opinion). I also do not object when someone else does so and I try to consider their opinions and positions, even though they may differ from my own. One just may find some truth and/or value in what others have to say.

I am really sorry that you took my previous posts all so personally even though none of them were directed at you PERSONALLY and it was all generic statement of my position on all the points covered. I think that you need to go back and read my posts and see if you can find ANY place I stated that this Kurt "dude" is wrong, or an idiot or anything of that nature. In fact IIRC, I started out sincerely saying that I was impressed that there is a quality CCW instructor (YOU..the Kurt "dude", in case you missed that) around doing classes. It is really too bad that, when someone puts forth a position that is their own (which you seem to mistake as "hostility"), you take it so personally and that you seem to have the need to jump down the throat of anyone that has an opinion to express. Must have touched a nerve, I guess. And then you say that I am the one that needs to calm down...LOL!! Or maybe you, for some unfathomable reason, just had some need to interpret what I said as an attack upon you or your methods. So be it, as I have no control over what you think or how you perceive things. The CAPITALS were meant as a way to EMPAHSIZE certain words and not as "yelling" and have been used that way since long before computers were invented. Maybe next time I will use UNDERLINES or BOLD print just in case there is someone out there can only interpret CAPITALS as "YELLING". Yelling is something reserved for children and maybe for adults that have lost control or have nothing to actually contribute to a discussion, but just have to be heard anyway.

Seems to me I started out my posts by complimenting you and saying that I was glad to see that there are good CCW instructors around, but you seem to have missed that and you also seem to believe/imply that I have no right to state my position.

I have made it to my age by being reasonable and am NOT INTERESTED in making friends "electronically". I tend to do that in person and am pretty selective about who I call a friend as I am not interested in having a large number of "friends" just so I can say I have a large number of friends, even though they are idiots. I am interested in having reasonable, intelligent, quality people in my circle of friends.

PS.....I am interested in who would deliver the spanking...and I am wondering if she would be delivering it in my room or maybe elsewhere and then going to my room WITH ME (capitals for emphasis ONLY).......Sounds like that could be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHILL, "dude". Do people actually still use that "dude" thing? I mean other than the kids in the neighborhood?

Last edited by dondlhmn; 03-13-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: phiks skrued up spelin
dondlhmn is offline   Reply With Quote