Nevada Shooters

Nevada Shooters (http://www.nevadashooters.com/index.php)
-   General Conversation (http://www.nevadashooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need Advice from Parents - girls and dating older boys (http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=46105)

johntaylorny 09-24-2013 07:19 PM

Need Advice from Parents - girls and dating older boys

My grandaughter just turned 15 but is young looking for her age (looks 13 tops). She's a freshman this year in hs. Not very mature yet. She's got the attention of an 18 year old senior from her high school. He calls her 20 times a day and has asked her out on a date. He's from central america (guatemala or ecador or some place). He looks 18+. I don't really know him too well so I can't touch on his personality. Last night she told me that he is picking her up on friday and they are "going out somewhere".

I really have an uneasy feeling about this. I'm looking for advice from parents on the board here. If you have a 15 year old daughter that was not very mature would you allow her to date and go alone in a car on a date with an 18 year old from south of the border? I'm just looking for honest opinions here.

reno911 09-24-2013 07:22 PM

I hope all goes well. I will be following this post to remind me why to never have kids.

Bernymac 09-24-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johntaylorny (Post 422717)
My grandaughter just turned 15 but is young looking for her age (looks 13 tops). She's a freshman this year in hs. Not very mature yet. She's got the attention of an 18 year old senior from her high school. He calls her 20 times a day and has asked her out on a date. He's from central america (guatemala or ecador or some place). He looks 18+. I don't really know him too well so I can't touch on his personality. Last night she told me that he is picking her up on friday and they are "going out somewhere".

I really have an uneasy feeling about this. I'm looking for advice from parents on the board here. If you have a 15 year old daughter that was not very mature would you allow her to date and go alone in a car on a date with an 18 year old from south of the border? I'm just looking for honest opinions here.

If the young man is brought up right, your girl will be fine. And how do you determine that? The boy should go to your house and ask permission...after all, the parents taught him values, right? Much like you taught your children and your grandchildren, they usually copy the acts of the parents. This act is usually a sign of respect and with respect comes a lot of things. Make it a point to know the parents of the boy. Talk to him, don't judge based on stereotypes and deep seated fear.

What does him being from south of the border have to do with anything?

ScottC 09-24-2013 07:55 PM

I am not a parent, but I am 18! ha I think the you should meet the boy and have a talk with him. Explain to him your stand point on values, beliefs, etc. and tell him that respect is a two way thing. After meeting the boy decide whether or not you'd be okay with them going out. Well either you or her parents. I do not know the family situation.

Roach 09-24-2013 07:59 PM

The senior wants one thing and one thing only. You know what it is.

Good To Go 09-24-2013 08:25 PM

You are crazy if you let her go on this date.

Nothing good can come out of this event.

She may not be happy with your decision. If she has the respect for you she will respect your decision.

She has plenty of time to have the dating experience.

I would suggest if she is not happy with the outcome of not allowing the date, then work with her and the Man she want to go out with(he is not a boy).

They can go on a outing with you.
For a hike.
Out to a lunch.
Out to the shooting range to have a fun day.
To the water park (that way you can check for gang tats.)
You can also invite him and his parent for lunch date. This will tell you a lot about them and him. This will be the best money spent.

Think hard about this dating thing.

Steve

ScottC 09-24-2013 08:36 PM

Roach I'd disagree with you because I am a senior and I don't want that one thing, granted I'm different than a lot of youth these days. Granted I wouldn't be asking a 15 year old on a date. This senior very well could want that thing. I like Steve's idea!

loic 09-24-2013 09:01 PM

Re: Need Advice from Parents - girls and dating older boys

When my daughted was 15 I would let her go out only if I kbew who she was going with, time I pick her up. No nights out , period. Mall, movie fine, I drop her off and pick her up. She is almost 18 and I still do the same.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

STV_Keith 09-24-2013 09:03 PM

I don't have a kid, but I'd think I'd be following them and watching the whole thing go down. Anything inappropriate happens and I'd jump out of the bushes and end it right then. If that happens, you can guarantee she'll always be thinking that dad is right behind her ready to jump out at the guy if he does something inappropriate.

Billua 09-24-2013 09:08 PM

If the boy was raised right, he wouldn't be asking a 15 year old out...